Chapter 13

Nixx

I'm blinded by panic, absolutely overwhelmed with fear as her body hits the ground.

I'm there a second later, my sword searing through the heart of the wolf who thought he could touch what's mine.

His body falls off of Noella, and I waste no time in flipping her over, my eyes moving at a rate even I can't comprehend as they thoroughly search for injuries.

"Are you alright?" I ask, my voice demanding, needing to hear the words leave her mouth.

Her dazed features don't focus on my face, instead they're latched onto the dead wolf beside her.

I lightly grasp her chin, guiding it until she meets my eyes as I again ask, "Noella, are you ok?"

Her brown eyes disappear in a blink, but then she's opening them back up as she mutters, "Yeah I- I think so."

He touched her, my wolf growls.

The promise of death lingers under his tone, like he can't see the corpse lying not two feet away.

I know, but he already paid for it, I reassure him.

A snarl vibrates through my skull as he says, Not him. The one in the trees, hiding like a coward.

My head whips up, and I barely have time to see a smirking faced rogue before he disappears into the trees.

Why wasn't he in his wolf form? And why would he bail?

"Something is.... " Noella whispers, her fingers gently touching the back of her head. "....Something doesn't feel right."

My hands cup her neck, my brain searching and searching for things he could have done.

"What is it?" I ask, looking at where her fingers rest. "Where does it hurt?"

Her brows furrow, eyelids drooping.

"I don't know. It just....hurts."

Her last word comes out slurred, and before I know it, her body is slumping forward, her limbs giving up as everything slackens.

I curse lowly as I grab her face gently.

"Hey, hey, hey, Noella," I say, tapping her cheek lightly. "Noella, come on. Wake up."

She's completely out, and I have no idea if what that lowlife did was fatal or not.

"Kyler!" I yell.

He's at my side in an instant, his knees sinking down beside mine, concerned eyes glancing over my mate.

"I don't know what happened to her, but I'm not about to wait and find out if it's life or death. We were already attacked once. We need to go back and figure our stuff out."

He nods, and I have never been more thankful for a beta that does first and asks questions later.

"I'll gather everyone and make sure we make it back safely. There's no casualties as far as I'm aware." He gives me a look before saying, "Go take care of your mate."

I nod, and I hope my face shows just how grateful I am for him in this moment.

Alright, buddy. Let's get our mate to safety. 

A second later the feeling of being pushed to the back of my head takes hold, and I distantly watch as Kyler situates my mate upon my wolf's back before the world becomes a blur of green and brown.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

I haven't stopped pacing in front of the hospital room door. The number 8 is branded into my skull from how many times I've looked at it, but my eyes can't seem to stop.