Chapter 15

Noella

We are definitely not leaving this forest. I know because I came in here the other way.

We're only going deeper, but I don't have the heart nor voice to speak up and tell him.

Everything he was to me shattered with a single action. He killed that man. I watched the colour leach from Luke's face right before the life drained out of his eyes.

I don't know how he did it. He didn't even have to touch Luke before his life was forfeited. He didn't have to lift a single finger before Luke was choking on air that wouldn't come.

I'm walking behind a cold blooded murderer.

Snow crunches loud and obnoxious, the constant sound reverberating through my head until all I want to do is lie down in a quiet room and never come out. Never have to speak to the man in front of me again.

Too many questions ring in my mind, but I have no idea how to even begin getting answers. I can't- wait....

My head is full of questions, snow crunching, distrust. However, one thing it isn't full of is pain. The ear piercing, blind inducing pain that sliced through my head only hours ago is completely gone, and I have a feeling my father showing up at the same time is definitely not a coincidence.

I stop walking, planting my feet and crossing my arms before I demand, "What did you do to me?"

My voice is full of every bit of courage and confidence that I don't have, but he doesn't know that.

He turns, his face full of confusion, like I'm the one who's playing games with him.

"What do you mean?" He asks, and his tone is so innocent, so him, that I have to remind myself of what he did only minutes ago.

"Don't act dumb," I say. "Something was wrong with my head. Coincidentally though, as soon as you showed up, my problem was gone. So, I'll ask again, what. Did. You. Do?"

He sighs, and my shoulders drop at the expression he wears. For all my persistence, I had wanted so badly for him to say it wasn't him.

"I didn't do anything. One of my men put a tracking device in your neck. I had no idea it would cause so much pain, but I'm glad you're feeling better."

I feel faint all of a sudden, my head too heavy, my heart too light.

One of my men.

"You mean the rogues."

It's a statement, not a question, but his nod only makes my legs want to give out.

"You weren't supposed to find out this way," he says apologetically, stepping towards me. "I had plans, preparations in order. We were going to-"

"Who are you?" I ask, my eyes burning. "Where's the dad who brought me roses after his business trips? The father who read stories when I couldn't sleep? The man who took care of his kid instead of abandoning her?" My voice breaks, but I clear my throat and keep going. "Why am I looking at a stranger who works with enemies? A stranger who murders innocent people? A man who puts tracking devices in his daughter because he's too lazy to just search for her? Where's my dad?"

"I'm right here, Little Flower."

He tries to grab my shoulders but I sidestep, my body cringing away from his hands.

"No," I say vehemently. "My father left the minute you decided to dawn this mask. I'm not coming back with you."

The words hurt, the sting of everything I've ever known burning its way up my throat as I silently say goodbye to the only true thing I have left.

My father shakes his head, and dread fills me before he even opens his mouth.