Chapter 4- Back to the Real World?

Once the rest of my team talked some sense into me, we had to get back to training. Lets just say that they lured me into their trap to bring me back downstairs with some rope, Kelsey drawing the short straw, and some fresh bacon. It wasn't like they hadn't done this before. I got mad and broke down every now and then, although it scared them every time. They gave up on trying to get me to sit at the table with Madame Miranda, so we got sent straight to the clutches of Darwin.

"Ladies, take three laps!" Shouted Darwin in our general direction. Our gym was about the size of a football field with a track around the edge and different trading stations in the middle.

Today's stations included quick costume change, different escape mechanisms, different bolts, screws, and wires, and of course, a firing range. The usual. Once we were soaked to the bone in sweat from our run and the push-ups and sit-ups that followed, it was time for the actual training. During the run, I had learned that while I was hiding away, Madame Miranda learned of our team name and that the phone number we retrieved before we first learned that we had to take Derek Thorton out, was just for practice. I nearly got frostbite just for practice.

"Instead of breaking up into our own separate groups, each 'leader' of their talent is going to teach us about what they know. I understand that this may not be your favorite exercise because you all know how to do each of these things, but this is an important mission. When I was your age, I had to..." We all groaned knowing that Darwin's stories of his past were never going to end. Instead of sitting and waiting for him to finish, we got up and walked over to our first station: electronics with Kelsey.

"I know that none of us want to do this, so I'm going to make it quick." Announced Kelsey. In the background, you could hear Darwin ranting about how he fell in love with the person he had to kill. He didn't know we were gone yet because he couldn't see us. He should catch up in a few minutes. Kelsey talked about the flow of electricity and how she found inspiration for new gadgets. We hated when they made us stay together because we thought there was no point in trying to master others strengths because we had each other for that. We walked through the other stations listening here and there, trying to recreate what the 'leader' had created, until finally we arrived at weapon handling . My station.

I always felt a rush of energy whenever I picked up a weapon: gun, knife, you name it. Today we were working with handguns, which must mean that whatever weapons we were going to use during the assassination were going to be small.

"Here's how you do it." I stated. I picked up the gun, closed my eyes, and shot at the target. The bullet went straight through the head of the dummy. "Any questions?" No hands were raised and I was relieved. I couldn't explain how I did it, I just did.

"Girls, girls!" Hollered Darwin. He had tripped over the chairs we were sitting in an landed on his face. We helped him up and speed-walked to the door so we could avoid anymore push-ups. We turn the corner and ran into Madame Miranda.

"Ladies!" Madame Miranda shouted with her head held high. "Time to pack. You know what you have to get. Off you go! Your flight to Paris takes off at 6 am sharp tomorrow. You shall be downstairs tomorrow at 3 am so we can be early and get everything settled." Leave it to Madame Miranda to make us suffer, she was probably making us wake up before the crack of dawn, just to get back at me for being rude at breakfast. Whatever her motivation was, we were going to fulfill her plans.

We trotted off to our own little sections of the mansion to pack. Kelsey wandered off to the electronic room while Morgan went to the car garage. Brooke will somehow learn our covers and find the perfect outfits.

The lights flicker underground in the weaponry. The cold stone walls are covered in guns, knives, crossbows, bombs, and more fatal tools. The first time I came here when I was young I was scared out of my wits. Now, I know it like the back of my hand.

I'm not sure how I knew what weapons to gather, but I picked out some small guns like in the training arena and a few knives. I wandered back to our room and crashed onto the cloud of a comforter, letting the weapons tumble to the floor. I guess being sleep deprived during an assassination isn't a good thing. A few minutes of shut eye couldn't hurt while the others finished packing.

I drifted into a deep sleep where my nightmares were as vivid as Picasso's paintings. Blood from Amy splattered the windows of the car I was driving as I crashed into a giant Derek Thorton. He picked me up in his oversized fists and shook me, asking why I was out to kill him, but he wouldn't listen to my pleads. Blackness swallowed us up and soon I pranced on a pastel meadow, my parents smiling on the picnic blanket. A shadowy figure sat in the tall grasses, but I wasn't afraid of him. He seemed to be apart of me. That's when I heard the screams.