Chapter twenty

Ushijima had just gotten to her house,

not only hers but her family's,

which included her brother Oikawa Toruu.

She had acting weird for a while; cold, distant, more serious than usual. Even if she pretended that everything was okay, he could tell that something was off.

And so, there he stood, determined to put an end to whatever was causing her suffering, even if it meant talking with the annoying person who should have been at Shiratorizawa.

The tall boy was wearing some comfortable clothes, the type you wear after school and with complete confusion and a hint of disgust, he glared at Ushikawa.

"I didn't come to talk to her," Ushijima spoke firmly, his voice carrying a hint of determination. "I want to talk to you, Oikawa."

Oikawa's brows furrowed, caught off guard by Ushijima's insistence. He couldn't comprehend why Ushijima would seek him out, especially after their strained interactions. Yet, there was a resolute sincerity in Ushijima's gaze that gave him pause.

"Why would I want to talk to you?" Oikawa's voice trembled slightly, a mixture of anger and vulnerability seeping through.

Ushijima's grip on the door loosened, but he maintained his position, keeping the door from closing completely. His eyes met Oikawa's, unwavering and earnest.

"Because I care about her," Ushijima said softly, his words laced with sincerity. "I care about your sister, Oikawa. And I want you to understand that."

Oikawa stayed quiet for a long minute, in complete awe from the situation that was taking place right now questioning every single word that was coming from his mouth, but for a second his heart gave in.

"Come in."

Ushijima nodded and stepped into their house as Oikawa opened the door fully. The air felt heave, full of an unspoken tension.

"You want something? Water? tea?" Oikawa spoke, leading him into the kitchen.

Ushijima glanced around the kitchen, then looked back at Oikawa. "Water is fine."

Oikawa grabbed two glasses from the cupboard, filled them with water, and handed one to Ushijima and kept on to himself without saying much.

The atmosphere in the Oikawa kitchen was thick with an uncomfortable silence. Both Ushijima and Oikawa seemed to be avoiding eye contact, their gaze wandering around the room as they found themselves in an unexpectedly awkward situation.

Ushijima took a sip of water before shifting the conversation. "I was told that you had some problem with Karasuno yesterday." Ushijima said, referring to a practice match his team supposedly had.

"What's it to you?" Oikawa's expression tightened slightly, and he leaned against the kitchen counter, crossing his arms. "We had a tough game, that's all."

"I see." Ushijima responded while nodding, after all a conversation they could both understand. "Last week I met that setter Kageyama and his ginger friend."

"Uhg," Oikawa cringed at the thought of the black head. "Why would you even do that?" He as if he was disgusted, truly wondering why HIM would be even talking to THEM.

"I was taking a run, and they were too. I guess they wanted to see our school, maybe watch our game." His voice remained steady.

"And you would just let them?" Oikawa continued; his sassy attitude remaining.

"It wouldn't make them any better and it certainly won't make our team worse."

Oikawa sighed, leaning back against the kitchen counter. "Just like you, Karasuno is always a pain. They somehow manage to get under my skin."

Ushijima raised an eyebrow, prompting Oikawa to continue.

"They beat us in a practice match, and I can't let them think they're better than us," Oikawa admitted, a hint of frustration in his voice even if he wasn't there at the time.

Ushijima remained silent, waiting for Oikawa to elaborate.

"It is already enough having to deal with you" Oikawa continued, his annoyance palpable.

Ushijima took another sip of water, "You know, Oikawa, if you had just gone to Shiratorizawa, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You'd be part of a winning team."

"Oh my god" Oikawa gawked while rolling his eyes, his irritation bubbling up. "Again with that?!"

Ushijima raised an eyebrow, unfazed by Oikawa's dramatic response. "Well, Oikawa, I can't help it if the truth bothers you."

Oikawa crossed his arms, a defiant glint in his eyes. "I don't need to join Shiratorizawa to win. I'll lead Aoba Johsai to victory."

Ushijima leaned in, his tone earnest. "Your pride is admirable, pretty worthless in my opinion. You would be unstoppable in Shiratorizawa."

Oikawa scoffed. "I won't let ANYONE overshadowing Aoba Johsai, especially in front of ____. It's embarrassing," Oikawa confessed.

"You are a good older brother Oikawa. Looking forward to being good example for her." He remarked. "Someone she can look up to."

"Yeah, well, she's all I've got." Oikawa's usual air of confidence softened for a moment, a hint of gratitude in his eyes. "She doesn't deserve any less."

Ushijima nodded, understanding the sentiment. "Oikawa, I care about her. Much more than you think, I promise. I hope you can understand that our relationship means a lot to me, and that I truly want to make her happy and I'll do my best to do so. Even if it means talking to you."

Oikawa shook his head slowly, a mixture of skepticism and contemplation evident on his face. The unspoken tension lingered as he processed Ushijima's words.

"Why are you doing this to me, Ushiwaka?" Oikawa's voice showed his complete discomposure, his eyes culpable. He knew all the pain his has conflicted in her sister and wished to make everything stop, but how? The person that had made his life miserable to a point, was in fact in love with the person he cherished the most.

Ushijima's gaze remained steady, a sincerity in his eyes. "Oikawa, I just want you to know that she's important to me, and I respect the bond you share as siblings. I don't want anyone to get hurt because of it."

"Wakatoshi..." A soft voice appeared, her voice. Both turned to her, looking at how she stood in awe with a flicker of happiness in her eyes that soon turned in a confused and panic look. "Wakatoshi?!"

***

FIRST, lets ignore haikyuu's timeline for the sake of the chapter lol, I had to do it im sorry if it bothers you.

Secondly, I GOT SO INSPIRED. 

sO yesterday I posted chapter nineteen and realized I had lost the notes I had for the story so I was like incredibly frustrated and I was like 'no one reads this shitty story anyways' and like planned to leave it like there. BUT, then a girl said like 'I really like your story!' and like all motivation came back to me lol. 

SO I AM FINISHING THIS STORY BEFORE THE YEAR ENDS AND WE HAVE THREE DAYS. WISH ME LUCK, I WON'T DISSAPOINT YOU EVER AGAIN MY THREE READERS I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. 

THANKS FOR READING!