Chapter 17

NEXT DAY 

I was getting ready to go to work. Elena and I have the same shift today and I wasn't looking forward to it after what has happened yesterday. She will definitely want an explanation, but how on earth do I tell her why I slapped my goddamn professor? 

I rubbed my forehead and was seriously thinking of calling my boss and saying I was sick. Elena looked really shocked yesterday, and I wouldn't be surprised if she is mad at me today. Whatever, I'll just do my work and try to avoid her, if that's even possible. 

As I was leaving my appartement, I got a call from Jean. He said he'll come later to see me, to which I didn't know how to react. I still need to give him my answer, I just hope he's not expecting it today. I had no time to think about him at all - my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Elena possibly hating me, and Mr. Yeager definitely hating me. I still couldn't wrap my head around it... I slapped him... How did it even get to that? Not to mention the things he was saying about Jean... Where did he get that from? 

My whole way to work I thought about possible scenarios that could happen from now on. I walked pretty much like an zombie, without paying attention to anything and anyone. As I was getting closer, I could see Elena's car and I instantly got more nervous.

"Here goes nothing..." I said to myself as I went inside the cafe. Elena was turned with her back facing me, so she didn't notice me yet. I tried to go unnoticed by her as I quickly walked towards the crew room. As I slam the doors shut, I take a deep breath and go to change into my work attire. I was tying my hair in a ponytail when a message lighted up my phone. When I picked it up to read from who it was, I froze in my spot.

MESSAGES
Eren Yeager (1)

It read on my phone and I didn't know how to react. I had no idea if it was even real, I mean, I never gave him my number. My first thought was to not open it. He's an asshole and I didn't want nothing to do with him. But, the curious side of me wanted to know what the message said. Without hesitating any more, I decide to click on the message.

Eren: We should talk, Miss Y/N.

That simple sentence was enough to make my heart beat quicker. The fact that he addressed my how he does in college did not help. At all. It even made me more nervous, scared even. Maybe he wanted to let me know that my actions will have more serious consequences. I did slap him outside of college, but that doesn't change the fact he is still my professor. 

I didn't know what to answer, so I just left it for now. I had work to do and needed to focus on that. I placed the phone in my pocket and looked at myself in the mirror before going out there. Elena was serving some guests when she came back to the front counter and noticed me. She didn't say anything, only quietly looked away and went on. I started washing the dishes that were left in the sink. I could feel the tensions in between us, it has never been like that before. 

We were awkwardly avoiding each other for the rest of our shift. Jiwoo arrived a little after me, but she wasn't with us, as she had some paperwork that needed to be done. Either way, she noticed the tension and just gave a look that said "You'll explain later". I was dreading to finish my shift. Not just because the situation with Elena, but because it wasn't as busy today so time went by very slowly.

When it was 8 PM, we closed the cafe and went into the dressing rooms. The silence in between us was terribly uncomfortable, but I didn't even know what should I say. Maybe apologize? But what for, she has nothing to do with problems that Mr. Yeager and I have. Also, if she heard what he was saying I'm sure she would think he was out of line as well. 

"Y/N..." I flinch when she called out my name. She was looking down, putting her uniform in her backpack. I stop what I was doing and turn around to face her.