14. DEION

“You kissed her?”

“Yes, Theo,” I said as we walked inside the locker room. “You asked me the same question three times already.”

“Oh, I know. I just wanted to make sure I was hearing you correctly since you were the same person who said that Aliyah was just a little sister to you.”

I shove him, chuckling. “Shut up.”

“Admit it,” says Theo. “I was right.”

“Fine. You were right.”

“Thank you.”

I put my bag down on the bench when my phone dings in the pocket of my sweatpants. I check it, seeing a text from Aliyah.

I’m here :)

I smile before scrolling a tiny bit, seeing the text she had sent me last night.

Looks like Kira wasn’t mad at me after all :)

I smile more when I feel someone nudge me.

“Planning a date?” Theo asks with a small grin.

“No,” I tell him. “Aliyah just texted me that she was here.”

“Don’t get too distracted during practice now. You know we do have another game coming up soon,” Theo reminds me.

“Along with the football scrimmage,” Aaron says as he approaches us. “Which I am going to kick both of your asses in.”

“Don’t get your hopes up, man,” I say. “Don’t forget about last year’s scrimmage.”

“You got lucky that time. This time, I’m coming for you.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

I change into my uniform just as Coach enters the locker room, blowing that damn whistle. “Alright, boys, let's hustle! We got a lot of things to do today so I need all your asses on the field in t minus five!”

He leaves, Aaron sucking his teeth. “I swear, that whistle is gonna be the fucking death of us.”

“Let’s go,” Theo said as he grabbed his helmet, leaving the locker room. Aaron and I follow behind him along with the rest of the team.

I turn my head, seeing Aliyah sitting in the bleachers along with Kira and Jennie. I wave at her as soon as I spot her, Aliyah waving at me back with a smile. A cute smile that I loved seeing every day.

An hour into practice, Coach excuses himself to use the bathroom. Once he does, I head up to the bleachers and over to the girls. “Hey, there.”

“Do you always procrastinate every time your coach leaves?” Kira asks.

“Not every time,” I tell her. “Just when I need a good distraction.” I take a glance over Aliyah, grinning at her. She blushes and quickly averts her eyes, but I catch a small smile appearing on her face.

“Are you doing anything after practice later?” Jennie asks.

“Aliyah and I were gonna go to Ollie’s later,” I said.

Kira’s face lit up a little. “So, you’re going on a date?”

Aliyah’s face became more red at the question. “I-It’s not a date.”

“Unless she wants it to be,” I say, eyeing her.

Aliyah bit her lip, looking over at Kira. “I mean, if it’s okay with you, Kira.”

“I already told you, Aliyah. It’s okay,” Kira reassures. “I’m fine with you and Deion going out.” She then eyes me. “But I have my eyes on you. If you hurt her, I’m gonna hurt you. Got it?”