Chapter 9

Indila woke up late; it was almost ten. After getting ready for breakfast, she glanced out her window to find a beautiful summer day with a blue sky adorned with soft clouds. Realizing it was Thursday, she recalled Coriolanus's schedule; he usually had lunch around noon. The idea of sharing meals with him felt too personal, and she didn't want to intrude on his day.

Leaving her room, she noticed something by her door – a small folded piece of paper. Upon opening it, she discovered a message written in perfect handwriting.

"My dearest, Indila,

I hope you enjoyed our night as much as I did. Knowing you're not a morning person, I wanted to find a way to wish you a good morning. Have a wonderful day, and I look forward to seeing you at lunchtime.

Yours Truly,

Coriolanus."

Feeling butterflies again, Indila found his gesture thoughtful and considerate. She decided having lunch with him wouldn't hurt. Making her way to the dining room, she greeted the workers she passed by. Some were carrying sheets, others suits, and some even baby bottles, confirming that Coriolanus's son was indeed a baby. However, the workers nodded without smiling or showing any other expression, leaving Indila puzzled. It could be a cultural norm where workers weren't allowed to talk, or, worse, she might not be allowed to interact with them, possibly causing them embarrassment.

Upon entering the dining room, Indila noticed something she hadn't seen the evening before: a grand piano near the windows. Nervous during her last visit, she hadn't fully appreciated the room's beauty. The classic charm enveloped the space, with walls adorned in gold and burgundy damask wallpaper complementing rich mahogany furniture. A grand crystal chandelier hung above a polished mahogany dining table set with fine china and crystal. Tall mirrors, heavy drapes, and filtered light from the tall windows created a sense of spaciousness. And there it was, the piano, positioned near the windows.

Indila excelled at playing the piano, among many other "little talents" often associated with princesses. She could sing, paint, embroider, held a classic ballerina degree, and could speak six languages. Additionally, she possessed knowledge of diplomacy and international politics. Back home, there was always a packed schedule of classes and activities. Reflecting on this, she realized there was almost nothing to do now. She had honed these skills to secure a worthy husband, but everything now felt somewhat pointless.

After having breakfast, Indila remained seated at the table, contemplating how to spend the hour and a half until lunch. Yearning for guidance, she wished she could call Julliard, but if he hadn't shown up yet, he was likely occupied. Perhaps playing the piano would fill the time. She sought permission from one of the gray workers, and he assented. Taking a seat, she began warming her hands with exercises. Her fingers felt sluggish, unused to missing a day of practice.

After warming up, Indila decided to play some Tchaikovsky from her favorite ballet, "The Sleeping Beauty." As a child, she had adored the ballet, aspiring to embody the glory of Aurora in the third act. Starting with Scene No. 12, she moved on to the fairies' variations, her favorite part aside from Aurora's wedding.

Playing the piano in that moment made her feel at home for the first time in the expansive house. She was grateful that she could play almost the entire ballet by heart. While struggling to recall the notes of the Waltz in the first act, she relied on a cherished memory – her mother used to sing a song with the same rhythm to lull her to sleep since she was a baby. Putting her finger to the F key, she started singing:

"I know you I walked with you once upon a dream

I know you The look in your eyes is so familiar, a gleam

And I know it's true That visions are seldom all they seem

But if I know you I know what you'll do

You'll love me at once

The way you did once upon a dream".

That was it – she was perfectly able to play it while singing. A round of applause unexpectedly came from the other side of the room. Indila turned to look, not expecting anyone to be listening. It was Coriolanus, and apparently, it was lunchtime.

"So, you are a musician?" For some reason, Indila sensed a hint of attempted enthusiasm in Coriolanus's tone, though it sounded somewhat disappointed. "I have my charms," Indila smiled shyly. "You sure do."

Coriolanus took a seat at the table, and she joined him. "I really like 'The Sleeping Beauty,' by the way." It surprised her that he knew about ballet. "It's my favorite repertory ballet," she said, feeling excited that they shared a common interest. "My favorite one is 'Carmen'—a story about jealousy. I think it really shows what a person can do when they lose their temper for love."

"I like this one as well, especially the music, but I can't play it. I would need some music sheets." Coriolanus suggested, "No problem, I can get you some if you want to practice, and we could put a piano like this in your bedroom if you want to."

Indila felt enchanted by the opportunity, but playing in the dining room was fine for now. Perhaps Coriolanus could listen to her more often if she continued playing there. "It's very kind, but I really like this one. I guess I could do it here when I feel like playing."

"Of course you could. I'd love to hear you from my office more often." It seemed she was right.

They began to eat, and Indila had come to accept that she would rarely know exactly what she was eating. Nevertheless, the flavors were pleasing. "Thanks for the note, by the way. It was very sweet of you," she expressed her gratitude. Coriolanus grinned, displaying a sense of pride. "Well, I just wanted to wish you a good morning." Their conversation delved further into classical music, and they promised to meet again for dinner.

Returning to her room, Indila felt content. This connection with Coriolanus seemed to be working, and in the following months, her favorite moments were consistently spent by his side.

Author's note:

I do not own the song, it's  "Once upon a dream" in this version, by Lana del Rey.