13|the capitol's victor

THE TRAIN ARRIVED AT THE CAPITOL AND PEARL'S OCEAN EYES SAW A FAMILIAR SIGHT

THE TRAIN ARRIVED AT THE CAPITOL AND PEARL'S OCEAN EYES SAW A FAMILIAR SIGHT. People were going insane for her.

The bright colors of the crowd blocked any escape, and they were all waving to her and yelling. Snow really knew what he was doing with the Victory Tour. It was a sick way to get Capitol citizens engaged with the games.

Pearl innocently waved back. Just like the districts, she was escorted towards the stage that faced crowds of many people. The Capitol was more elegant than the districts in every way.

The crowds at the other districts were almost motionless, and it was extreme surprising that Pearl saw a couple protesters. According to Mags, that never happens.

The districts weren't excited about the games, and they knew Pearl wasn't either. She was forced to perform for the Capitol just like every victory. It will always be that way.

The Capitol was cheering for her and bubbling with chatter. Did they not get tired of being fed the same lies each year?

Shaky breaths that belonged to Pearl were heard faintly against the sound of Capitol citizens. Mags's reassuring hand was there again, but Pearl wasn't sure how much longer she could handle this. Not even her confidence could save her. This is your last stop.

Pearl walked out onto that stage and saw an entire sea of people before her. Her speech finished as soon as it started.

Had she talked too fast? Did she breathe too loudly into the microphone? Pearl was sure she did fine when she heard clapping, but she wasn't sure. This time, Pearl stayed mostly on script. She had so sympathy to offer the Capital. The only reason she rewrote the scripts for the districts was because they deserved much more emotion from her. Pearl wanted to let them know that she cares.

She was greeted by both Tigris and Mags backstage.

"Where are we going to next?" Pearl asked.

"The Presidential Palace," Tigris answered.

An electrical shock went through Pearl's body. "Your cousin's mansion?"

"Yeah. Is everything alright Pearl? You're really pale. Do you need me to get you something?"

Tigris was always overly concerned for the wellbeing of others, and Pearl found it adorable. Her pupils would dilate, and she would try her best to help them.

"I'm ok," Pearl lied

Mags smiled. "It's just the pressure of being out on the stage."

Pearl nodded in agreement as she tried to lower her heart rate. Avoiding one on one conversation with Snow would likely be impossible.

She then realized that Snow took up so many of her thoughts. Pearl tried to forget him for at least a minute, but it didn't seem to work.

She got onto the train for what seemed to the millionth time. Something as simple as getting on and off a train was becoming tedious for Pearl. It just reminded her of the games. Every time she stepped into this train, she was being taken somewhere for the Capitol's pleasure.