18|sign the contract

THERE WAS A SMALL STACK OF PARCHMENT PAPER ON SNOW'S DESK

THERE WAS A SMALL STACK OF PARCHMENT PAPER ON SNOW'S DESK. A pen rested beside it. Pearl took a seat and so did Snow. She breathed heavily. He seemed to be over their second kiss much quicker than her.

Snow sat there neatly, his hands folded on the desk. He was relaxed, but also eager at the same time. Pearl could tell that nothing about this contract was going to be good.

Did she really have a choice in signing it? Could Pearl simply tell him no, or would he force her to obey his wishes no matter what? These terms could be psychotic coming from someone like him.

There were many words on the paper in neat handwriting.

"You said you would do anything to help your family, correct?"

Pearl nodded. "Anything."

He pushed it towards her. Pearl examined the paper with wide eyes. Before she even read the words, she knew she wouldn't want any of this.

I, _____ AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS PROPOSED BY PRESIDENT CORIOLANUS SNOW.

There was where Pearl would have to sign her name. Snow had paragraphs of conditions that she would have to follow if she signed this paper. She shivered reading some of them.

She would have to comply to his every demand, and appear whenever summoned at the Capitol.

Her green eyes scanned faster and faster.

Must obey any demands the President has.

In summary, Pearl would become Snow's possession. She would become his property and his property only.

Snow saw her facial expression, and Pearl knew that he was very aware of her immense doubt in this contract. Pearl wasn't willing to give up her life after she just fought for it in that arena.

"Any living loved one that you have will be personally granted unlimited protection by me and the Capitol."

Pearl shook her head. "Why do you want this? Why do you care so much about just one of your victors?"

Snow leaned forward. "I need to be in control. You are not just a victor, you are my victor. The first victor of the games I administrated, and also the first to rebel the Capitol."

Pearl's lips curled up in disgust "Stop saying that. Stop saying that I'm yours."

Snow's eyes drifted down towards the contract. He smirked the slightest. "The contract says otherwise. And you seem like you have no choice but to sign it."