15|empty heart

AN UNEASY FEELING RESTED IN PEARL'S STOMACH THE ENTIRE TRAIN RIDE HOME

AN UNEASY FEELING RESTED IN PEARL'S STOMACH THE ENTIRE TRAIN RIDE HOME. Pearl was anxious after Snow's warning, and Mags had offered to walk her inside. She had a gut feeling that something was wrong.

Snow's kiss definitely had an effect on her too. Pearl was so repulsed at the idea of him, yet her lips hungered for his touch again.

Her and Mags were walking off the train late that night. There weren't citizens surrounding the entryway to District 4 because of the time. Her and Mags had a clear path to Victor's Village.

Dread filled Pearl when she remembered the Peacekeepers that patrolled the area around her home. She had forgotten to ask Snow about that, even though she knew it was his doing.

Mags had been a victor for about five years, and she doesn't have any surveillance around her home.

It was so late at night, and District 4 just felt so empty. Pearl took small steps as her shoes dragged through puddles.

She looked down and small her reflection despite the darkness. Pearl saw the face of a victor, or should she say a victim.

Pearl's home came into view, and she didn't spot any Peacekeepers. Maybe they weren't there because they knew she was at the Capitol. They were there for her, not Marie and her mother.

God, Pearl couldn't wait to see her family after such a long and exhausting Victory Tour. Mags opened the door for her and Pearl felt the familiar wave of home wash over her.

"Marie! Mom! I'm home."

There was no response. Normally Marie would come running at the sound of her older sister's voice. There was just a deathly silence.

Mags's lips quivered. "Do you want me to stay until you find them?" she whispered.

Pearl nodded. They wouldn't be out this late. Marie would have been in bed hours ago. Her mother's anxiety may have kept her up, but there was no way Marie was out anywhere even with Pearl gone.

Maybe they were asleep and they didn't hear Pearl's call. "Guys! I'm home!"

There was still no response. Pearl began to search every room downstairs, Mags following. She turned the lights on in every dark room. The place would look abandoned if it wasn't for their possessions lining the rooms.

She was growing more worried by the second. Pearl refused to admit that something could have happened to them, until she reached upstairs.

Marie slept in the same room as her mother because of her attachment issues. She was often scared without someone by her side.

The bed was covered in mix of red and white roses. Pearl's heart sunk. She slowly approached it to see a note with familiar handwriting.

I WARNED YOU.