Anastasia: Part Two

Nunnehi- immortal people

Gabriel

I feel a happiness I haven't felt since I was a child. She is beaming up at me with the broadest smile; it's adorable.

"Gabriel, I'm eager to be back on my feet, but once I am, I'll be dancing around the room. I plan to have my father host a grand ball where you'll witness me all dolled up, donning my finest ball gowns and pearls passed down from my great-great-grandmother. Picture this: I'll spot you from across the room, head your way, but inevitably trip on my dress, leading to a tumble and a ripped hem. And, to add to the chaos, my hair will mysteriously escape its updo and turn into a messy poof."

As she bursts into laughter, I playfully conclude her story.

"And just when you think the worst is over, someone carrying a boysenberry pie will stroll by and haphazardly trip the pie, which, flying across the room, will land on your chest. The room will gasp in horror as I pick you up, fix your hair, and commence licking the pie off your chest."

Giggling, she swats my arm.

"My apologies, Miss Anastasia; I would never do that... I'd keep you on the floor so I don't lose any pie."

Her smile is infectious, and I want to cherish moments like this forever.

Amid the laughter, my tone shifts to a more serious one as I say, "I'll wait a few days, but would it be alright if I ask your father for permission to court you? Ana, I've been sincere with every word. I'm deeply in love with you, but I must be honest; I am not pure in God's eyes."

She gazes at me, her expression one of bewilderment, uncertain of what I mean.

"I am not a virgin. I've slept with a few women, and you deserve to know."

She rolls her eyes, looks at me with a sassy expression, and says, "Gabriel, you have much to learn about my family. My father and I are not religious. We're more spiritual, influenced by May and the Navajo people. We're not Christians. My beliefs revolve around kindness to animals, the earth, and its people, giving to those in need, and embracing life to the fullest."

Relieved, I ask, "Ana, what are your thoughts on the afterlife? Where do we go, or what becomes of us after death?"

She scrunches her adorable freckled nose, shrugs, and says, "I don't know exactly. May thinks that our spirits ascend to the sky to join our ancestors. I think our souls might go somewhere after death, but I'm uncertain. My father believes in a cycle where our souls move to a new human. I hope this revelation doesn't change your perception of us."

"Quite the opposite, my love. Your words bring me peace because I'm not a religious man."

She leans against me with her hand not being held by mine she runs her fingers through my hair dreamily and says, "Your hair is stunning; the deep black resembles a raven's feather, and the sunlight streaming through the window causes it to have almost a blueish hue."

I bring her hand to my lips and kiss it softly and quietly I say, "Thank you, I am happy you like it." I have never been very good at knowing what to say when complimented. Centuries have convinced me I am considered very attractive, but I dislike boasting; it is not an attractive trait.

Before I can say anything else, she says, "Gabriel I could stare at you all day. You're like one of the Greek statues brought to life—flawlessly perfect."

Looking at her lovely, delicate face, I notice she's blushing—a different shade now as Ana struggles to express her upcoming thoughts. She notices me looking at her and she swats my arm and scolds me in a serious but playful manner, saying, "It's hard for me to get the next part out, even though I should be over any embarrassment."