Returning Home : Part 2

Kishan walked out through the docking bridge. Once free of the ship, he stopped to wait for the others. Dawn followed, with Grant and Bobby behind her. They all stood waiting, but the young man did not follow.

"Dewey!" bellowed Grant. "What is taking you so long?"

Within moments, the young man emerged, holding onto the walls of the bridge as he walked. "Why are we so heavy? This is just a moon, right? A tiny moon."

Kishan had forgotten about it. "Well, not tiny, but I get your point. Simulated gravity. The same they used on Titan."

"Adding gravity?" asked Grant.

"Simulating it. They increased the drag of the existing mass. Turns out, if you're building a colony on a small moon, higher gravity helps. But if you're mining, gravity also makes the ore heavier, so no one wanted it. Dione and Titan might be the only two places where it's still active."

He turned and walked down the short connecting bridge. This led them into the main compartment of the transit depot. He led them first to the Station Master's office. It was empty.

"It's barely past midday," said Grant.

"They probably don't see much traffic. And most of that is scheduled. I did expect more than this, but it's been a long time since I was here." Kishan reached for the intake terminal. "I'll log us in as a research vessel out of Mu Cassiopeiae. That might give us a few hours before someone tries to confirm it."

Kishan typed some details into the intake terminal. Satisfied with his work, he turned toward the most distant exit. The others followed. As he walked, he raised his comm device and spoke into it. The connection was accepted as they reached the exit. He grabbed the door and swung it open, inviting the others to pass through ahead of him. He spoke to his comm. "Hello, I'm trying to contact Quinton Séaghdha."

"I'm very sorry. Mister Séaghdha isn't available right now," came a woman's voice. "May I take a message for him?"

"My name is Kishan Saanvi. My father and I spent many years working with Mister Séaghdha. I'm in system and hoped to connect with him."

"Saanvi? Mister Séaghdha has mentioned the name. Many times, in fact. I will let him know you called. He should be back within the hour. His office is in Ascanius Quarter."

"Ascanius, as in the crater Ascanius? I was not aware the settlement stretched that far."

"Within the last few years. Are you in Oebalus? We're twelve hundred kilometers from there. I thought they'd closed the docks in the old sector."

"Well, that explains why there are so few people here."

"There's a transit system in operation on the surface. You can get a shuttle at the top of every hour. It's a two hour trip."

"I'm very pressed for time. Is there any way that I can speak with him?"

"I'll see what I can do." The woman severed the connection.

They made their way toward the end of a long corridor. Kishan stopped and addressed them. "My old friend may be able to give us some answers, and some help."

"When do we meet him?" asked Grant.

"We don't. I do."

"If you're taking that bright light with you, the one you took from me, I'm going with you."

"You were only a courier."

"Yes, whose ass is on the line. If there's something valuable to come from it, I need to be there."

Kishan pointed to the left. "You may find a few places to eat in that direction. Don't get your hopes up. From the looks of it, not many people still call this place home."

Outcasts of GideonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara