15; shattered

Ishan's fingers danced nervously on the screen, contemplating whether to press the call button under Shubman's contact. The mere thought of hearing his voice was both comforting and terrifying. Maybe talking to his best friend would offer solace, or perhaps a breakdown.

No, no, no. Breaking down in front of him was not an option – at least not now. And so the fear of vulnerability won as Ishan abruptly turned off his phone.

A sudden realization struck him – Ahaan, Shubman's friend and someone Ishan knew. Ahaan might be able to provide some insight into Shubman's recent activities.

(I presume a lot of you must've forgotten Ahaan— he was mentioned in the first chapter)

It didn't take too long to connect with Ahaan. Two rings in, and the boy answered, "Hello Ishan bhaiya?"

After the usual pleasantries, Ishan cut to the chase, "Hey, what's Shubman been up to lately?", he asked, trying to keep his voice steady.

The pause before Ahaan's response was palpable. "Shubman... He... " Ahaan sighed, his voice hesitant, "He's been having some girls over for the past few days."

Ishan's mind struggled to process the information. "Girls? As in his female friends?" His assumption was shattered by Ahaan's answer, "No, not them... You're his best friend, so I'm telling you this. He's been inviting the kind of girls you... uh.. p-pay for company."

Girls for company? Paying for companionship? His mind raced, trying to make sense of the unexpected answer. "Uh... Okay, so I'll call you back later. Bye." His throat felt dry as he abruptly ended the call, at a loss for words.

His legs, once sturdy, now felt like jelly, and his arms hung limp at his sides. The floor beneath his feet seemed to slip as he took a seat on the bed.

Was he angry? Heartbroken? Perhaps disappointed? The emotions blurred, tangled and messy. The walls of the room seemed to close in, the air felt heavy as he tried digesting the information.

࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪

Surya's phone buzzed and it was the person he expected the most to get a call from at such an hour, a person who he's been getting calls from far too frequently for the past few days— Shubman.

Answering, Surya's casual "What's up?" was met with an awkward pleasantries and a heavy silence. And it didn't take a Sherlock to decode Shubman's unspoken agenda behind the call.

"It's about Ishan again?" Surya deduced, and the silence that followed from Shubman confirmed his suspicion.

"Seriously, you've been blowing up my phone ever since this series started, all curious about Ishan. Why not dial up his number and have a chat directly?"

Shubman, in an act of defiance and perhaps anxiety, replied, "You know I can't do that."

"And why is that?" Surya probed, met with Shubman's silence, that revealed more than words ever could.

He sighed. He had a hazy idea of what might be going in between the two and his intuition about the root cause of the fallout between Ishan and Shubman proved to be accurate day by day.

Surya pressed, "So why did you call?"

His question was followed by, once again, silence. Surya massaged his temples before probing further, "You know I haven't got all day to-"