- 5 -

Chapter song: Forest Campfire - Campfire Sounds

Photo above: Bob.
_____________________________

30 long ass minutes passed and the man was growing sketchier and sketchier.. Talking to himself here and there, asking us random questions. I kept silent the whole time, occasionally flashing the man a smile, or nodding to agree with him even though I didn't want to.

Leon was handling the situation better than me, answering all the questions thrown at us, laughing along, even drinking a couple beers with the man. I gave him props, with my attitude, I probably would've said something to piss him off..

"What's the best part about eating someone?" Bob asked, my head shot up to him.

"Oh, are you gonna finally say something missy?" He chuckled, I rolled my eyes in return, scoffing at his flirtatious tone.

"Just the adrenaline for me" I said quickly, pursing my lips as I gave him a nod.

"Understandable, and what about you Lee?"

I looked to Leon, his head was tilted up and to the side as he thought. "I'm not sure, the adrenaline is nice but I sorta enjoy the high of it, the euphoria that floods my body." He chuckled, biting the corner of his mouth in a toothy grin.

Bob was mute in return to Leon's answer. It was enough to make the hair raise on the back of your neck. There was a brief moment of silence between the three of us until we heard Bob shuffling in his seat.

He was now leaning forward, elbows on his knees with his arms crossed over each other, one hand still clutching a beer.

"You ever eat the bones?" I looked down at Leon, confusion and wonder filling his face. I watched as he shook his head, "Bones?" Leon asked.

Bob nodded and chuckled. He cleared his throat and stared straight into Leon's eyes. "It's the best part"

He spit to the side and squinted his eyes. "You'll get a high from the flesh but oh," He laughed with is words, "The bones are what really gets ya going, once you try them, you'll want to eat anything in your path" Bob's face was now emotionless again.

I could feel the tension rising, I looked down at Leon who also looked emotionless, yet he had this look of... 'I want to fuck this guy up' as well.

Leon pulled a cigarette out of his pack, not once taking his eyes off Bob. He lit it and handed it off to me. My eyes were glued to him, I didn't care for a cigarette, I cared about getting the fuck out of here and as far away from this man as humanly possible.

The look Leon had on his face was chilling, he never spoke a word either. He looked down for a brief moment, taking a puff from his cigarette, immediately turning his gaze back to Bob.

 He looked down for a brief moment, taking a puff from his cigarette, immediately turning his gaze back to Bob

"Bones and all" Bob chuckled. "Amazin, just amazin"

I shook my head, anger filling me. I've had enough, this dude went from freaking me out, to pissing me off. Bones and all? Thats fucking impossible.

"Fuck this" I stood up, brushing off my ass in the process. I leaned down and snatched the pack of cigarettes, aggressively pulling one out and lighting it.

"Ari-" Leon started but I had already chucked the cigarettes down and started marching back to the truck.

I slammed the passenger door shut behind me, immediately swinging open the glove compartment to grab the large pocket knife we had stashed away. I flicked it open and held it firmly in my hand, staring out the window.

I watched as Leon stood up, giving the man a brief handshake before making his way towards me. He glanced back a couple times in the process, I could see Bob staring intently at us as he slowly sat back into his seat.

Leon walked around the truck and got in, shutting the door behind him, swiftly locking it the second it closed.

"We need to fucking leave, this dude is crazy" I huffed, Leon nodded.

"We can't right now.. He'll follow us, knowing his intentions, they aren't good. Dude reeks of desire and god knows what else"

"How long do you think he'll be awake?" I asked, staring at Bob through the window. I could feel Leon's gaze as he too was staring.

"Not long.. that whole pack of beer is gone, i've only had 3. Give it awhile and he'll be out" Leon shuffled in his seat, grabbing the keys as he stuck them into the ignition for when the time came.

He reached over and placed his hand on mine still gripping the knife with white knuckles. My hand loosened a bit and I turned my head to meet with Leon's eyes. He flashed me a crooked smile and looked back out to Bob, still intensely staring towards our truck.

I groaned and sank in my seat, letting my head fall back against the seat. This wait was going to be longer than expected...

****

I jerked my head up as I felt Leon softly shaking my shoulder, his hand immediately pressed over my mouth as he brought a finger to his lips, shushing me. He then pointed towards my window. I turned, and there sat Bob, passed out with his head cocked to the side, his last beer halfway hanging out of his hand. The fire was nothing but burning embers now.

I looked back at Leon and gulped, "Let's go" I whispered, he nodded and started the truck, just enough for us to start moving.

He slowly inched the truck around the curve of the field, then past Bob. We were close to the opening near the road when suddenly, a bang hit the truck. I shot around, staring at Bob who was angrily staring at us, now standing and facing our direction.

"Fuck Leon, go!!" I yelled, Leon fully started the truck, slamming down on the gas. We jerked forward at full speed, Bob was now screaming, running towards us like a fucking maniac.

Leon turned the corner, skidding as he started speeding down the road at 80 mph. I was almost hyperventilating, my head flying back and forth between the road and the crazy man running at us.

"He eats people like us.. Fuck he probably kills and eats whatever crosses his path" Leon slammed a palm on the steering wheel, jerking it through his mop of red curls right after.

"I'm so fucking stupid for thinking he was like us, he's not, these are the people we need to watch out for." Leon was cursing himself through gritted teeth, his eyes never leaving the road.

"We can trust anyone anymore.. got it?"

I nodded and sighed, relief slowly taking over me as we drove further and further away from the man who wanted to eat us. He was finally out of our sight... hopefully for good...

________________________________