Chapter 14

By
Brynn Morgan

Copyright © 2023 by – Brynn Morgan – All Rights Reserved.It is not legal to reproduce, duplicate, or transmit any part of this document in either electronic means or printed format. Recording of this publication is strictly prohibited.

Emily and Lainie drove a few miles to Gordon's Country Market. The parking lot was filled with shoppers, and when they got out of Lainie's burgundy SUV, people noticed her and said hello as they passed by.

"Just about everybody knows me because I am a nurse, and I have either assisted in bringing their babies into the world or been beside their parents as they passed," Lainie explained.

They walked through the automatic doors, and Emily looked for the young woman, Clarrisa. She did not see her.

Lainie walked over to a young guy bagging groceries at a register and asked if Clarissa was working that day.
He was tall and lean with copper hair and bright green eyes and wore a bright red apron with the store name in white letters. He must be kin to Clarissa. Emily thought.

"Yeah! Rissa is working over in the produce section today in building B."

Emily and Lainie headed that way, and Emily saw the bright redheaded woman on a ladder setting up a display of delicious red apples.
Emily walked up to her.

"Hi, Clarissa."

Clarissa looked down, holding a shiny apple in her palm. At first, she looked at Emily like she did not recognize her. Clarrisa saw so many faces every week, but then she looked closer and smiled.

"Hi, Emily!" She smiled brightly. "How did you like the Blueberry Coffee?"

Emily looked up at her.

"It was perfect."

Clarrisa climbed down
the short ladder, folded it up, and placed the apple in her hand on top of the pyramid of apples.

"I told you that it was good." She gushed and, propped the ladder against her hip and looked at Emily quizzically.

"Want more peanut butter cookies, don't you?" she teased.

Emily smiled and looked over to Lainie.

"Would it be possible to talk to you briefly?" Emily asked.

Clarissa looked down at the white apple watch on her wrist and back up at Emily.

"You caught me right on time. I am going on break now. Y'all can sit with me back here. There are perks to being the boss's daughter!" She said and laughed.

They followed her through double doors to a tiny break room with a folding table holding a coffee maker, Styrofoam cups, and a tray with sugar and creamer.

There was a long table in the middle of the room with foldable metal chairs. Clarrisa pulled out one for Lainie and Emily, then walked over to a refrigerator in the corner and took out a cold can of Sprite. She popped the top and took a drink.

"What can I do for you?" she asked, pointing to her soda. "Forgive my manners. Would y'all like one?"

They both declined.

Emily pointed to Lainie.

"This is my friend, Lainie Griffin," she said.

Clarissa's green eyes sparkled.

"I know, Lainie! She has worked at the hospital for years, and she was there when I came in with a sprained ankle last year." She finished.

Lainie chuckled. "Yes. I noticed you right away, Rissa."