Chapter 16

By
Brynn Morgan

Copyright © 2023 by – Brynn Morgan – All Rights Reserved.
It is not legal to reproduce, duplicate, or transmit any part of this document in either electronic means or printed format. Recording of this publication is strictly prohibited.

Chapter 16

Later that night, after they had driven back to Lainie's house, Emily and Lainie shared with Davis what they had learned from Clarrisa's report on the Hasting's House. There was so much information that they had gleaned from Clarissa, but there was so much more that they had to find out. Lainie did not feel they had even scratched the surface, nor did Emily.

Davis listened intently to them as they revealed what they had learned, and he had to admit that he was intrigued. It was strange that all the Hasting's daughters had died so young. He could not help but think that something was targeting them. But what? Davis would not have called himself a skeptic; he did believe in the supernatural to a certain extent. He had seen things that could not be explained throughout his lifetime. So, something, some entity, did indeed dwell at Hasting's house and was causing these falls down the stairs? He did not know. What he did know was that on the day that Tristan died, he had walked in and looked at Bella sitting in the corner of the entryway, bent over at the waist, rocking wildly, and her eyes were glued to the top of the landing as if she could not tear her eyes away from what she was seeing. Was there something there? Davis now wondered. Did Bella see something that traumatized her so severely besides seeing her mother fall, which caused her voice to be stolen from her? What did Tristan see as she fell to her death? Did she see what the Hasting's girls had seen possibly? What about Amori? What had she seen that morning of her tragic fall?

"So, what is the next step here?" Davis asked curiously.

Lainie was snacking on some Pork Rinds and drinking bottled water.

"Well." She said with her mouth full of food. "We are going to see if we can get our hands on these journals of Elizabeth Hasting's tomorrow and go from there."

Davis nodded and looked at Emily. She was noticeably quiet, and then she said.

"If y'all do not mind, I think that I am going to go to bed. I will see y'all in the morning."

Lainie and Davis looked at her. She looked physically drained.

"Night, Emily," Lainie said softly, and Davis nodded at her.

Emily stood up, walked out of the kitchen, and then turned around.

"I just wanted to say that I really appreciate you for letting me stay here these past few days, Lainie and Davis. I will start looking for an apartment tomorrow and try to get myself straightened out. Y'all do not know me from Adam, but you have opened your door to me, and I am humbled." she said.

Davis spoke in a deep baritone.

"Emily, you are welcome here. Take your time and find the right fit for you. We are not asking you to go."

Lainie looked at Davis as he spoke with Emily and reassured her that she could stay. Her eyes opened for the first time, and she knew as a sister that Emily had Davis's attention in an incredibly good way. She smiled knowingly. He liked her.
***

SAME NIGHT CLARRISA

Clarrisa put the leftover pizza in a couple of Ziplock bags, tossed it in the fridge, threw the empty water bottles away, and went into the living room to her altar. She loved this time before bed.

Clarrisa had to contend with Mozart and Beethoven at her feet and around her as she knelt at her small altar. Pushing them away playfully, she lit some Palo Alto sticks and waved a fan over them to spread the smell throughout the apartment. She loved the scent. It was so magical and made her stress melt away with its pleasing aroma.