Chapter 25

By
Brynn Morgan

Copyright © 2023 by – Brynn Morgan – All Rights Reserved.
It is not legal to reproduce, duplicate, or transmit any part of this document in either electronic means or printed format. Recording of this publication is strictly prohibited.

Chapter 25

"Your sisters?" Emily asked, curiosity piqued.

Clarissa nodded her head and explained, "Not my actual sisters. I do not have a biological sister, only a brother. I refer to my coven as my sisters."

Lainie's eyes widened in surprise. "You are a witch?" she asked.

Clarissa nodded again, an understanding dawning. The crystals at her altar, the gemstones she always carried, and the vision where the spirit attacked from miles away all made sense now, not to mention her peculiar behavior at the house.

"Yes. A young witch. I was just initiated into the coven last year. I come from an extensive line of Druids: my mother and her mother before her. It was inevitable that I would follow this path. It's in my blood. A grocery store clerk by day and a Wiccan witch by night!" she exclaimed with a hint of humor.

Davis, with a worried expression on his handsome face, asked, "Why do we need help, Clarissa?"

Clarissa, sitting down with a plunk on the brown leather ottoman in front of them, explained, "I could erect a barrier in the hallway for us to enter the room, but it was draining me of all my energy, and quickly. I felt the barrier weakening several times but held on with all the power I could muster. When those doors opened, it was because I could no longer maintain the barrier, and we needed to exit swiftly," she said.

"If I had my sisters there, we could have erected more barriers to protect us: around the stairs, the whole house. I did not protect the stairs because I lacked the strength, which is why Emily and Lainie were attacked. There was no protection. Whatever this entity is, it is incredibly powerful and thrives on rage and fear. It feeds from it," she finished ominously.

"So, when do we try to go back in there?" Lainie inquired.

"I'll make some calls," Clarissa replied. "We do not go back in there without backup. It could have been fatal for us today. Thankfully, it was not," she concluded with finality.

They decided not to read the rest of Clara's journal that night, and Clarissa left them, promising to update them as soon as she heard from her sisters.

It was Lainie's turn to put Bella to bed. She told her to put on her pajamas, and then she would come back to tuck her in. Walking down the hallway, lit only by a soft night light, she stopped when she heard talking coming from Bella's room. She froze and pressed her ear to the door, wondering if Emily was inside with her, although she hadn't seen her follow them upstairs.

Lainie quietly opened the door and peeked inside. Bella was sitting on the floor, facing the curtainless window. She turned to look at Lainie, who noticed the sketch paper and markers around her. Stepping into the room, Lainie realized there was no one else present. Who had Bella been talking to?

"Bella?" Lainie questioned, her eyebrows raised.

Bella watched as Lainie walked around the bed to her. "Who was in here just now? I heard someone talking with you."

Bella's eyes were wide, her look stressed.

Lainie squatted on the floor next to Bella and glanced at the papers. Instead of drawings, she found words that chilled her:

WHY DID YOU HURT MOMMY?
YES I AM YOUR FRIEND
I MISS MY MOMMY

Lainie felt cold chills covering her body. She gently grasped Bella's shoulders, pulling down a notepad and pen from the bed for Bella to communicate.