Group Role Assignment

Vil claps to get everyone's attention. "Come join me once you're done with your calisthenics."

   You currently stand in Pomefiore's ballroom. You stand off to the side as the boys all stretch before rehearsals.

   "The song we'll be presenting at the Song & Dance Championship is now ready for us." Vil announces.

   "Oh, so it's an original song?" Jamil smirks. "Pretty impressive for a school music presentation."

   "Composing original tracks for the SDC has been the norm for several years now." Vil glances to everyone in the room. "Let me be clear about this undertaking. The SDC is not a beauty contest or fashion show. Scores are based on singing ability, dancing skill, and the degree to which a given song befits its performers."

   "That criteria's... kind of vague." Deuce says.

   "Look at it this way," Vil explains. "You know how some people look odd or uncomfortable in certain clothing? It would negatively impact a group's score to select a song poorly suited to its members' vocal capabilities or general image. Imagine elementary schoolers performing gritty blues or heavy metal. No matter how good at singing they might be, the choice of song would inevitably clash with their aesthetics and vocal stylings. Selecting the perfect song for our group is critical to clicking with our audience."

   Jamil nods. "Ah, yes. The audience votes on the finalists, don't they?"

   Vil smiles. "Correct. Winners and losers at the SDC are decided by popular vote. Each audience member, staff member, and entrant gets to cast one vote for their winning team."

   "They let the entrants weigh in too?" Kalim scratches his neck. "Wouldn't everyone just pick themselves, then? Everybody thinks they're number one! At least, I figure they would..."

   "Amateurs may think that way. You would be surprised, though." Vil explains. "Sometimes, the more capable you become, the harder it gets to endorse yourself. Sometimes, when you see a performance, all it takes is an instant to think, That's an act I could never follow. Once you have that knowledge, lying to yourself about your worthiness becomes a sad thing indeed."

   Jamil brings a hand to his chin. "I think I know what you mean, at least a bit."

   Epel shakes his head as he mutters. "Lying to yourself..."

   "That's why I strive my hardest to ensure that I can vote for myself with a clean conscience." Vil states. "Which brings us to the original song I had commissioned for us."

   Rook smiles. "Seeing you in side profile, gaze fixed upon the heavens above... So radiant, Vil! So inspiring! Might we hear the song now?"

   "Of course." Vil looks to you. "Well, Manager? Would you mind pressing play on the audio player?"

   You step back in surprise. "Wait, you're talking to me?"

   Vil rolls his eyes. "Who else would I be addressing? The headmage asked you to provide us with support, did he not? If you really want that prize money, you're working for us now."

   You hold your hands up in defeat. "Okay, okay."

   You press play and the music starts playing from the speakers. It's an electric pop song with synths added, making it sound modern and fun to dance to.

   Ace nods his head to the beat. "Whoa, this is the real deal!"

   "I like the rhythm!" Kalim says.

   Jamil thinks as he listens. "Would this fall under the electronic dance music genre? If we're dancing to this, would we want to go with urban hip-hop? No, maybe hip-hop jazz?"