Six

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter six

I sat on the edge of a hospital bed with one leg curled under my knee and my right foot swaying back and forth across the floor. Nurses were rushing around me and answering calls, the one that checked on my head and body for injuries disappeared to grab my doctor.

I started picking at the skin around my thumb as I anxiously waited for my father to arrive. I'm sure Beau was on his way too — with anyone else, I am unsure. I don't know what I was most nervous about but I couldn't stop replaying the scene in my mind — over and over.

Edward came over way too fast for any human to move and he definitely wasn't on the track team at Forks High.

But even if he did – in some weird way – move incredibly fast — he made a huge dent in Tyler's van that left no mark on his own body whatsoever. I watched the van bounce back.

The hospital doors swung up and my head shot up as my dad and Beau walked in with his sheriff outfit on and his hands on his hips. He looked pissed — but in a worried dad kind of way.

A shiver of anxiety shot down my spine when we made eye contact, but I watched as he visibly sighed of relief when he saw me. "Aspen." His arms dropped to his sides and he rushed forward towards me.

He wanted to pull me into a hug but we awkwardly looked at one another until I rolled my eyes and gave him a small reassuring smile. "It's okay dad, I'm fine, truly."

Beau made himself comfortable by sitting beside me on the bed. "I watched the whole thing happen, Pen. You had us all freaked out there for a moment."

Charlie nodded in agreement. "You are not fine, Aspen. I heard everything – you could've been killed."

"But I wasn't," I sighed as my shoulders slouched. "It's called an accident for a reason."

"I'm so sorry Aspen!" Tyler called out from behind us. He was currently being seen by another nurse, but his injuries seemed far worse than mine. "I tried to stop, I swear."

I glanced at him from over my shoulder and nodded my head. "I know, it's okay."

"It's definitely not okay," Charlie glared at Tyler sternly, now pointing a finger at him. "You can kiss your license goodbye."

The doors at the opposite side of the room swung open and I nearly gasped but choked down the surprise when a tall blonde doctor came strolling in with a clip-board in his grasp. His skin was as white as snow and his eyes glowed a golden brown — nearly similar to Edwards, and he had a charming smile growing across his face when he saw my father. Beau nudged me with his elbow as if it was obvious that I was staring — but was it wrong to look at a man that had no flaws?

"I heard the chief's daughter was in!"

"Good," Dad sighed again as he greeted him. "Dr. Cullen."

I turned my body back around as my doctor took a stance beside me, his eyes glazing over the paperwork before turning to me with a smile. "Everything is looking good. You have a nice knot growing back there," he carefully rubbed a specific spot at the back of my head that I wasn't aware of until he touched it, "but your x-rays show no indication of concussion."

"I'm so sorry Aspen, I really am — "

I watched Charlie reach over and forcefully shut the curtain that divided each patient. He placed his hands back on his hips but remained silent.

"I'm sure I'll be fine," I arched my left eyebrow at my father then looked up at Dr. Cullen. "I'm lucky Edward showed up when he did or else I would've been crushed."