008. murdoc

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

      ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

     Home On the Range: Gene Autry

I enter HQ and fix my shirt and my hoodie tied around my waist. I check the time on my watch and look at the messages from Riley about wanting to train again soon. I reply back as I keep walking down the hallway. I shove my phone in my back pocket and open the door.

"We drove here together. You don't need to text me." I tell Riley and close the door. I then turn around to see Jack grinning. "Did you finally buy a working, knowledgeable brain off the black market, Jack?"

"How was it?" Jack keeps his grin on his face.

"How was what?"

"You know what."

"Ew. Stop." Riley hits him.

"Yes, Riley, I agree." Patty stands up. "But congrats, Lina."

"On what exactly?" I cross my arms.

"C'mon, you know that song." Jack turns to me. "It goes, I just had-"

"Stop." Riley places her hand over his mouth. "What is wrong with you?"

"Okay, okay, you're right. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. But, Lina, that is a very nice shirt." He nods and I grin down in realization.

"Thank you, Jack. I borrowed it." I nod.

"I bet you did."

"Guys, as fun as this is, we are on a clock." Patty turns to the screen. "2008, a Mossad operative was murdered in Madrid. 2010, a human rights lawyer in Dubai. 2012, a CIA informant in Tokyo. All of these high profile assassinations were carried out by the same man. This man." She pulls up a half blurry image of a man's cranium. "Unidentified hit man known only by his CIA file number: Suspect 218. According to Langley, he likes to contact his targets right before he kills them."

"A hit man who texts his victims first?" Mac plays with a paper clip.

"Why is a raven like a writing desk? What does that even mean?" Riley wonders.

"Lewis Carroll. Famous riddle with no real solution." I tell her.

"That's just him taunting his victims. That's all it is." Jack adds.

"The CIA received intel that S-218 was hired for a job here in the States. But their investigation hit a wall, so they reached out to us." Patty goes on and I uncross my arms in realization.

"Any idea who hired him?"

"No. And we don't know who the target is, either."

"Sounds like we don't know anything." Riley turns to us and I clench my jaw.