044. home on the range

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

You Hold My Love: Maggie Lindemann

"Mac? Lina? What are you doing here?" Matty gapes as we sit down.

"We need to talk." Mac tells her and I flex my fingers under the table, then making a fist.

"Okay. It's gonna have to wait. I'm about to start a meeting."

"With Deputy Director Michaels of the FBI's L.A. field office? Yeah, he's not coming. I cancelled your lunch." I nod.

"Do you know what's on this?" Mac pulls out the USB and sets it down. "Probably not, I'll tell you: it's the complete, unredacted dossier you compiled on my father."

"If that's true, do you have any idea how many laws you're breaking by being in possession of it?" Matty whispers.

"Don't." I aggressively lean forward, making the glasses shake. "You're in no position to play that card right now." I clench my jaw. "But we're not here to talk about what we've done. This is about what you've done."

"You investigated my father for months, Matty. Ran surveillance on him, tapped his phones, had him followed. You even interrogated him yourself, for a week. But when I asked you if you knew my father, you lied to my face. And now, you're gonna tell me why." Mac orders.

"MacGyver, I can neither confirm nor deny any details related to any investigation that I may have been a part of during my tenure at the CIA." Matty tells him.

"That's it? That's your answer?"

"It's the only answer I can give you."

"Well, then, this is gonna be a lot easier than I thought.
I cannot work with someone I do not trust, so I quit." He goes to get up.

"I'm sorry, Mac, but you can't quit. Not like this." She shakes her head.

"Just did." He stands up.

"You can't quit to me, because I don't have final say.
Oversight does. So if you really wanna quit, you need to tell him, in person."

"How do we find Oversight?" I get up.

"Lina-"

"He goes, I go. That was always the deal. You know that." I clench my jaw. "Tell us where to find him."

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

"Wouldn't take another step if I were you." A man kneeling down to the coffee table tells us as we slowly head over. "That weak floorboard is actually a pressure plate attached to an IED."

"You're lying." Mac waves his arm out in front of me.

"Maybe. Take another step and we'll see. What do you want?"