40. I can't breathe

"Jungkookie, why was that Yugyeom smiling at you so much during PE?" Tae hyung asks me as soon as I sit down with my lunch opposite him and Jimin.

Jimin instantly starts giggling. "Jungkook shi, do you like Yugyeom?" He asks me in between fits of laughter as if to tease Tae hyung.

"Shut up Jimina!" Tae hyung smacks his hands playfully, only causing Jimin to giggle more. I can't help but smile looking at them. And I can't believe Jimin is actually two years older than me. He looks so small and cute.

"Jungkookie, what was Yugyeom telling you?" Tae hyung looks at me again.

"He was just asking if you and I are dating," I reply, grabbing my chopsticks.

"Oh! And??" He asks.

"I said I'm just friends with both of you," I say and start having my lunch.

"Oh, why?" Jimin asks. "You could have said you guys are dating, now that your Dad is okay with it."

"Dad is okay with it. But I don't think my stepmom and other family members will be so accepting like him. And Tae hyung's parents also don't know," I reply, munching on my rice.

"I'll tell my parents soon," Tae hyung says. "They'll hopefully be okay with it. But I think it's best we keep our relationship private at school. Not all teachers and students here are accepting. Why do we want unnecessary trouble?"

"Yeah, that's right," Jimin nods. "But Tae, you should first stop simply getting jealous and glaring at anyone who talks to him. Only then people would believe you guys are just friends."

"Jimin shi is right," I say, grinning, causing Tae hyung to let out a sigh.

"And you!" Jimin glares at me. "Call me Jiminie hyung."

"Jimin shi!" I giggle sticking my tongue out, making him glare at me even harder.

"Taehyung-ah!" He at last complains to his best friend who just laughs and starts munching on his lunch. "Jungkookie, let's practice basketball for an hour after class, okay?" He tells me after swallowing the food in his mouth. He asked me yesterday if I would like to join the basketball team and I said yes. When I was young, I used to watch older boys in our neighbourhood play basketball in the public court near our home in Japan. Sometimes when no one was there, I used to play alone, bouncing the ball and throwing it into the hoop. It was actually one of my childhood dreams to join a high school where there is basketball sport and somehow get into the team. But I was too nervous to go for selection while I was in Shinhwa the last two years. I was worried I wouldn't get selection and then Yejun and his friends would mock me.

"Selection is in a month. Only if you start practicing hard from now on, you be able to get selected," Jimin says.

"Okay, you both teach me well. I'm ready to practice hard," I say, munching on the Kimchi. The lunch here is actually better than Shinhwa's.

"Oh, I can't stay back after class today. I've some work," Jimin says.

"What work?" Tae hyung frowns at him whilst taking some of the Kimchi from his plate and placing it in mine. I try to protest, pushing away his hand but he ignores me and keeps frowning at Jimin while placing more and more Kimchi on my plate.

"I still need to submit a few assignments of that summer course in order to get its certificate. I'm working on it today," Jimin replies after taking his time to chew down the food in his mouth.

"You can't spare just an hour?"

"Actually Tae, I need help on one of those assignments. Somebody agreed to help me. I'm going to their house today."