The Machine

The songs of the wind lead the dance of the snowflakes above.

Winter solstice was finally here. Clouds stretched endlessly across the skies of Yoyle City, and snowflakes twinkled in the atmosphere as they sprinkled down to the grounds below. A city, once abandoned, was now buzzing with energy and interest, with a multitude of objects now roaming freely after their imprisonment in the Tiny Loser Chamber. Their curiosity had no boundaries; they explored day and night, wanting to find the answers to the many questions that they carried with them.

The Yoyle Needy, piercing through the air, now gathered a thin layer of snow that accumulated over its surface. A cage, now abandoned, hung from the patio above, swinging back and forth, as if the winds were attempting to snatch it itself.

How emblematic.

For there is such a beauty that hid within each crevice of every abandoned building in the city, carrying the secrets of the population that had once resided there. But its history was now tainted, clutching the screams and blood of those who had died there in its grasp. And because of this, a new normal had dawned upon it.

A group of four, known as Pen, Eraser, Blocky, and Snowball, walked through the frigid air. Donut held Barfbag's hand, quietly sitting outside as they watched as familiar faces would embrace the freedom before them. Taco tossed a snowball to the side, and Lollipop watched her curiously, listening to the woman as she shared the thoughts of her mind. Many objects were going about their day, with the impending storm not keeping them at bay.

But soon, many would begin to pour into the laboratory. Many were curious; others were horrified, carrying the terror that had been awakened from the views they had come across. But any and all realizations would soon be answered- all thanks to the brilliant minds that had worked in the labs below.

As Grassy was quietly playing with a stack of dominos, Robot Flower would step over, carefully scooping him into her arms. There was a struggle, but this was no surprise- she handed him a puffer string ball, watching as he excitedly began to squeeze and shake it. With him now distracted, the robot would then walk towards her best friend, giving her the nod of reassurance as she now had the youngest distracted. Basketball would look up, and she would smile, letting her carry Grassy to a spare room to shield him from what would take place.

She couldn't let him watch their return.

Basketball would lift the goggles from her eyes. She carefully stepped up, brushing herself off before she would turn to face the growing crowd before her.

"You know that they won't answer anything, do you?" She said, keeping her voice low.

Agreements. Some nodded- others glanced towards each other hesitantly.

"Do you think it's going to work?" Bell asked nervously.

"The machine was nearly complete. I found a way to fix those broken parts- some of the missing machinery were things Robot Flower gathered for me."

"But what if it goes wrong?"

"It won't- I know it. This is going to work."

"It BETTER." Fanny scowled, her eyes narrowing towards the orange sports ball. The outburst caused Bracelety to flinch, sadly glancing away as she nervously fiddled with her fingers.

Poor thing, Basketball thought to herself. The dark circles under her angered eyes carried an unfathomable weight- and Bracelety? Her silent demeanor was nothing short of strange to who she was.

It told the scientist everything she needed to know.

Ever since they had broken out, they went off to find them. They had sworn to do so, ever since the first day they had met. Not even the walls of the Locker of Losers could separate the bond of the four- after all, soulmates always tend to find a way back to one another. Once that first ray of sunlight poured into the metal box, their minds had been set; finding Bubble and Ice Cube was a goal they refused to put off.