A New Journey

I groaned, starting to stir as my eyes opened. As I glanced up, I saw something with large claws open a lid and it threw me down the pipe.
I gasped, sliding down the pipe and landing onto the ground. I groaned, "Ow...What the hell?" I stood up and rubbed my head. Lights started to flicker and the walls were closing in. "Crap-" I muttered and looked around for a way out. I saw an opening and climbed up, jumping through it and then climbed up a ladder.
I looked back and sighed. "Where the hell am I?" I muttered aloud.
                                    ——
     I crawled out of a vent, arriving at a room and I noticed a tape on the ground. I picked it up, putting it in the VHS player. The tv turned on and a woman spoke, "Alright, Ms. Harper, please explain the situation. Spare no detail."
     Another woman spoke, I was gonna guess she was Harper. "Well, like any night, all the children were getting to sleep. It was peaceful, quiet. Catnap had the red smoke in the room. Then, suddenly, there's this scream."
     "Nightmares happen, I know, but this...I mean, dilated pupils and quivering lips? The way her eyes darted around the room? And I swear, her hand in mine, it felt like her blood was boiling beneath her skin..."
     "She saw something too, something horrible! She- I-I'm sorry. I don't mean to..."
    The woman spoke again, "Ms. Harper, we'll provide the very best care we can offer. You have my word. But, this is important. Did Marie happen to describe what she saw?"
     Harper replied, "Yes! A monster she said, said that it was...Colorless...Gosh, I could feel her poor little heart pounding. For her, it was right there!"
     "A-And her movements, they were so wild! Arms flailing, legs kicking...I-I wanted to talk to her. See how she's doing. I just...I really need to hear her voice right now."
     The woman spoke, "That would not be advised, Ms. Harper. There are many concerns we must address at this time. But vitals show normal, and we'll continue to monitor. She'll be okay."
     Harper screamed "No! Well, pardon me if I'm not comforted by that! Just bring my little girl back to me..."
    The tv turned off and I frowned, "CatNap..." I muttered and walked away, putting 2 batteries into the correct places and the door opened.
     I noticed a sewer lid and looked, my eyes widening. "That's what I was dropped in..." I thought to myself. I walked down the hall, having to walk down a few steps before hearing a phone going off.
     My head jolted and I looked around. I ran up the steps, seeing a door where the phone was ringing from. I walked down the steps, shooting the green grab pack hand to collect the energy that was in the orb.
     I ran back up the steps, shooting the energy on the different orb and the door opened. I ran in the room, running to the phone and grabbing it, holding it to my ear.
     A voice spoke from the phone, "Hey...Hey, can you hear me? You look kinda lost. I don't want you to die- so, I'm gonna help you! Check this out! Look at the tube thing on the back wall. Ready?"
     I raised an eyebrow and looked at the tube, seeing a battery fall out of it. The voice spoke again, "You can use that battery to open the door!"
     "You got it, kid." I replied and grabbed the battery, putting it in the spot next to the door and it opened. I walk through the doorway and the voice spoke from the phone, "Woah...Did you do that? I guess that's where CatNap found you...I know you're probably mad at Poppy for not letting you escape."
     I scoffed, "Definitely. That little betrayer..." I grumbled. The voice spoke up, "But she needs you. We need you. You are our mission. Together, we can save a lot of people. Including you. Playcare is straight ahead."
     "It's the home of CatNap...One of The Smiling Critters. There used to be...Eight of them? I think? Now, it's just him. Playcare is his church, his hunting ground. Whatever he wants it to be."
     As the voice spoke, I walked down the railway. "You better get moving quickly...We'll keep in touch. Oh, and by the way, my name is Ollie. Nice to meet you."
     I smiled, "Nice to meet you, Ollie. I'm-" I wasn't able to finish as he hung up. I stared at the phone, "Oh."
     I shrugged and climbed up the ledge, looking around to see the power was off.
                                        ——
     I managed to get the power back on and arrived at a cable car. I pulled down the two levers on each side and entered the cable car, the door closing.
     As it started to move, the small tv flickered on "Hello. My name is Elliot Ludwig. When you look around at the world today, what one thing do you think it needs more of?"
     I raise an eyebrow, "Peace where there's nothing evil wanting to kill me?" I tilted my head. Elliot spoke, "I asked around, once. Money, I never have enough. Understanding, I can never get any. Faith, the common man has lost it."
     I shrugged, "That too."
    "Each answer was different...And I could perhaps see some little truth in each. But, I think each was also missing something. Something simple."
     As he continued to speak, I averted my gaze towards the red smoke I saw. "Woah...What the?-" I muttered, placing a hand on the glass.
     I listened to the tv again, "One where our children need not be afraid. One where they are protected. After all, this company and its toys are nothing without them. These children deserve to smile, they deserve to love, and they deserve a safe home."
     I stared ahead as the cable car entered the red smoke, entering the building inside. Elliot spoke, "That is why it is with enormous pleasure that as the founder of Playtime Co., I announce...PlayCare!"
     I looked to the side, seeing the whole place of PlayCare. Elliot continued, "Our very own onsite orphanage. But it's not only that. It's a school, a playhouse, a place to belong."
     I muttered, "A prison."
     "Our very own ecosystem beneath the surface, dedicated in every inch and detail to ensuring a child's smile. Its teachers and counselors, mothers and fathers, until such a time they have all of that in you" Elliot explained.
     "May Playcare bring joy, inspiration, and smiles to all who enter these doors. For what gives life its meaning, if not a smile?" He finished, the cable car reaching the station and coming to a stop.