Five

Isabelle Skyla Oliver

I skip ahead of Roman in the hallways but before turning the corner I wait for him to catch up.

"What would you like for breakfast, Isabelle?" I shrug, not wanting anything instead occupying my mind with pressing the button for the elevator. I hadn't had much of an appetite in the last few days especially being at the hospital since then but I didn't have much of an appetite before that anyway.

"You can call me Izzy, you know. Everyone does." I tell my oldest brother, looking up at him.

"I like the name, Isabelle, it's very pretty," Roman tells me, his way of telling me he isn't going to call me by a nickname.

"Theo named me, both of my names," I informed him and a smile spread across Roman's lips.

"And I named him, Maddox and I chose his name, we argued about it for days before we finally agreed."

"Really? That's so cool." We both step into the elevator, and I fall silent as my eyes catch sight of the necklace around my neck in the mirrors of the elevator as I once again remember what was happening today. I shrink back into myself and wrap my arms around myself. Roman seems to notice right away.

"It's starting to hit you, huh," Roman spoke with care, not many people spoke to me like that. Normally people just left me alone, unlike Theo who everyone seemed to adore, He was the golden boy hockey star and I was just his quiet little sister who stuck to him like glue. Tears welled up in my eyes against my will and I held myself tighter.

We were burying my mother today. All of a sudden it felt harder to swallow.

"Can't we just, maybe, skip today and wake up tomorrow?" I ask even though I know it didn't work like that.

"I wish I could take away all your hurt, baby." Roman, whispers, running a hand down my hair.

"You just met me." Roman knew nothing about me, why did he care?

Why would someone who never knew about me show more care for me than my mother ever did in my whole life after only meeting him mere hours ago?

"Oh, Isabelle," Roman sighed, heartbreak in his tone. "I wish I could show you how much I already care for you."

The elevator doors open and I take my exit quickly, hearing Roman's footfalls quickly after me. I walk until I realise I have no idea where we are going and look back to Roman for help.

"Come on baby, let's go and get some breakfast, yeah?" He holds his hand out for me to take and I do just that, the two of us walking hand in hand to the dining area to get just a little bit of food to get me through today.

₊˚ ✧ ‿︵‿୨୧‿︵‿ ✧ ₊˚

We had to take another Uber back to the hospital to pick up Theo's truck that had been parked there, he had decided against driving last night as he was too tired and Roman didn't have enough experience driving in heavy snow to try and make his way through the heavy snowfall we had had the last few days.