Fourteen

Roman Oliver

Roman Oliver

"Do you know what is going on with those two?" Maddox asks in a low tone but everyone at the table can hear him. We were all watching where Isabelle and Jude were still bickering back and forth, not as intense as before but this was the first time we had seen Isabelle out of her shell since she had been here and arguing with the brother who hated confrontation the most.

Jude was by far the softest out of all of us, he never argued and was often preferred to be by himself most of the time.

Theo was sitting watching the two of them looking exasperated, only interrupting when it was clear one said something too far.

"No clue," I answer my brother back honestly, something was going on though between the three of them, there was something none of them was saying and as much as I asked what was going on I wasn't going to pry into something they weren't willing to share.

"How did it go at the school?" Finn asks me, wrapping an arm around his wife's shoulders. "I'm sure Kye was happy to see you out of hiding."

I lived in a small town, a really small time and sometimes people just needed some space but no one seemed to understand that, I had done everything I was still friends with the friends I made when I was a kid, I attended weddings and house warmings but why could no one understand that sometimes I would rather be at home with my family.

"It was okay, I think they were both a little nervous but they seem happy to be getting back into school."

"Who's happy to get back into school," Maddox grumbles like he had to go to school every day when in reality he had finished the last day of high school a decade ago and had never looked back.

"Isabelle seems to be looking forward to getting into a routine, she seems a little scared though. Theo doesn't seem to care that much he's starting a new school, all he seems to think about is hockey."

I was glad Theo seemed to have a lifeline, I could tell he cared a lot about the sport he grew up playing.

"I can take him to the rink tomorrow," Noah offers looking at our brother. "I know the coach on the team, she teaches a group of littles on a Saturday morning but the rink is empty after that."

"I thought you were avoiding the kids." Maddox drawls, crossing his arms and glaring at Noah and Finn. They hadn't taken the arrival of our little sister so well yesterday but they had no problem with Theo.

"I'm not, I was just caught off guard. They haven't even been home today, and I had to do lesson plans for next week as well." Noah defends himself.

"Enough," I interject quietly, noticing Isabelle approaching, the table once again falls silent. Isabelle, Jude and Theo had all left to dish themselves ice cream for dessert even though it was pretty cold.

"Thank you for the ice cream," She thanked me quietly sitting back in her seat, not waiting for the two boys who were discussing something quietly by themselves.