1.17

An unknown man was sitting in his cluttered workroom, surrounded by stacks of papers and the soft hum of the computer. With a tired sigh, he reached for his steaming cup of coffee, seeking a momentary respite from the demands of the day. As the warm liquid touched his lips, a sudden jolt of pain shot through his hand, causing him to spill a few drops onto the desk.

Startled, he set the coffee down and glanced at his hand. There, on his palm, was a small but unmistakable wound-a tiny, shallow cut. He frowned, a mix of concern and confusion furrowing his brow. There is only one possibility for the sudden appearance of this peculiar injury, he thought. It was a connection, a bond he shared with someone he had once pushed away; a spirit who had once been an integral part of his life.

Memories flooded his mind, reminding him of the time when he had parted ways with her, offering her the excuse that the world was vast and didn't revolve solely around the two of them. He had believed he was doing what was best for both of them, but deep down, a lingering regret had persisted.

His worry for her resurfaced, fueled by the unexpected wound on his own hand. Despite the separation, the bond between them remained, as strong as ever. With a hesitant resolve, he reached for his phone, fingers trembling slightly as he dialed her number.

The phone rang, each chime amplifying the uncertainty within him. After a few moments, a voice answered-a voice that was not hers.

"This is the voice mailbox for the number you dialed. I'm sorry, but the person you are trying to reach is unavailable at the moment. Please leave a message after the tone, and they will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you."

The man sighed and put his phone down.

"Kael, I'm sorry, but do you have anything I can wear at least for today?"

You peeked inside the bedroom, droplets of water dripping down from your hair after the nice, lukewarm bath that you took. Since you didn't find any towel you could use, you decided to wrap your body using the dress that you wore last night, but because the dress was quite revealing, it didn't help much. Not to mention it's quite cold right now.

"Kael?"

Due to the darkness, you can't see that well, but you can somewhat vaguely see that Kael was putting down his phone as soon as he heard your voice. The Amorii turned around and his eyes lit up at the sight of you, chuckling slightly at the way you were quivering like a frightened chinchillas due to the cold temperature.

He then went to his wardrobe and took out a towel and his clothes. He beckoned for you to come inside, a smile of mischief on his face.

You hesitantly complied, a little cautious because while the dress that wrapped around you could cover your front, your back was exposed to the world, including your bottom so you were rather insecure right now, and Kael, knowing that, still decided to tease you by tracing your bare back with his fingers.

You shivered and took a step back.

"Stop that." You scolded him.

He laughed and handed you the items he took from the wardrobe. "I've ordered our breakfast. Come down soon once you're done, okay?"

You nodded. "Is your heat okay now?"

"Hmm, it's gone," he kissed your cheek. "The longest is four days, but my heat usually lasts only for a day. A shame really, we could have tried so many things."

You grumbled at his endless teasing, embarrassed, and pushed him out of the room. The fact that you could push him so easily while still maintaining the piece of that fragile clothing to cover your figure must be because it was Kael himself who willingly walked out of the room. You knew that if he persisted, there was nothing you could do, at least not in this form.