9: Dragons

"No sign of Chen," Garmadon announced as he walked into the courtyard. "Skylor hasn't returned from her scouting mission yet, though."

Lyra paled. "Father--Chen--wouldn't have been able to take her...right?"

She looked around. Everyone was avoiding eye contact except Lloyd, whose lips were pressed in a thin line as he stared at her in concern.

"But--but she's so strong!" Lyra argued, even though no one had said anything. "Even without her Element, she can take on anything! How would they have managed to capture her?"

"Perhaps Clouse had something to do with it?" Garmadon suggested. "There are no real limits to his magic."

Lyra combed her hair out with her fingers. She'd just taken it out of its braid, and it was messy. "Sky's so smart, though! She'd never let them capture her."

"Maybe she wasn't?" Lloyd offered, though he didn't look convinced. "Maybe she's just running late."

"With the Elemental Power of Speed?" Lyra questioned. "I doubt it."

She sighed as she sat down, playing with her hoodie's aglets. Lloyd sat next to her, and the rest of the ninja--plus Garmadon and Nya--crowded around them.

"If it weren't for her help, we wouldn't have control of the island," Nya reminisced. "We'll find her."

"It's funny," Kai muttered, looking anything but amused. "I came here to find an old friend. I just never thought we'd make new ones."

Lloyd shifted closer to Lyra. "I'm glad we did, though. Without Skylor and especially without Lyra," he prodded Lyra's elbow with his own, "we would've been dead right now. Or working in the factory."

"Well, without you guys, Chen would've killed with that horrible serpent--thank you for ending its life, by the way--so I guess you're alright," Lyra shrugged, a small smile making its way to her face.

Zane opened up his stomach to reveal his wires and two rows of switches--Lyra had not gotten used to that yet--and flicked one. He immediately jumped up as "The Chicken Dance" started to play. He performed the entire dance while everyone laughed. Lyra's bewildered expression only made it funnier. When it came time for a partner, he forced Jay to dance with him, which Jay did not look happy about.

Lyra watched the scene with a growing smile. Seeing them happy made something inside her feel warm and fuzzy--how cliché. She felt more at home than she ever had anywhere, including at the meadow. The scene was only missing one person.

We'll get you back, Skylor, Lyra promised, looking up at the sky that happened to be the exact shade as her eyes. And then we can have a long talk about what happens next.

~*~

Everyone cheered as Nya shot the blimp with an arrow, popping it.

"Sink the ferry!" Jay ordered. "No one's getting off this island."

Careful, Jay, you're starting to sound like my father.

It'd been two days since Skylor disappeared, and there was still no sign of her. Lyra was getting increasingly more restless. She hadn't properly slept since the start of the Tournament, and it was starting to show. Bags were forming under her eyes and her balance was off.

Bolobo raised his staff, and vines shot out of the ground, wrapping around the ferry, breaking it in half, then dragging the broken pieces underwater.

"The palace and sleeping quarters are clear, as well as all the tunnels Lyra told us about," Cole reported after talking to some of the other Elemental Masters. "Still no sign of Chen."