Chapter 3

Inara

The Moon king is my mate.

The thought loops in my head like a broken track, playing the same six words over and over.

I had known the minute our eyes locked. It was like a click had shuttered, and suddenly, I was standing in front of a dream.

I never even dared to think about having a mate, and now he's here. In the Grand Hall.

I know he won't want me the minute he realizes what I am, but I'm fine with that. I would rather live in The Post than go to the Moon kingdom.

The pressure on my arm forces my brain to focus on the bruising grip Ms. Granelle has on my arm, and I try to hold in my wince as we walk outside.

Spiders of dread crawl all over me, their tiny legs pricking me with the warning of the danger that's coming.

"I should've just put you in here to begin with," Ms. Granelle grumbles. "You're always causing trouble. Always messing up. And of all people, you chose the Moon king!"

I shiver as The Post comes into view, my body knowing exactly what comes next.

"I didn't mean to," I all but whimper. "It was an accident."

Her nails puncture my skin, and I bite my lip to keep from crying out as sharp pain rolls up my arm.

"You don't do accidents," she growls. "You always sabotage everything! Don't stand there and feed me words I know are nothing but lies, girl."

My eyes fill as she opens the iron gate surrounding the sand covered ground, but I use everything I have to hold my tears back.

I will not cry. I am so tired of shedding tears when the only outcome is more punishments.

The metal poll stands tall and proud in the middle of the ring, the chains I'm all too familiar with hang from its sides.

Ms. Granelle shoves me to my knees when we get close enough, and I look to my other side as she wraps the first chain around my wrist. A full body shudder rocks me when she finishes with the other one, and it takes everything I have to keep myself from begging for forgiveness. Begging for another chance.

It won't do anything, and knowing her, she will probably take pleasure in it.

"I sentence you to three nights and twenty lashings for each one," Ms. Granelle states, evil glee radiating in every syllable.

I gawk at her, barely containing a scream of rage from escaping.

"I didn't mean it! I promise! It was an accident!" I can't help from saying, terror locking all my limbs as the tears win the war and start to fall.

I can barely survive one night with five lashes. I'll die before the second night is through. It's too much, and she knows it.

I'm just an expendable maid here. One that's trouble isn't worth her service.

My eyes plead with her, agony flooding every inch of my body as I beg without words for one last chance.

She smiles, but there's nothing warm about it.

"Maybe I'll let the Moon king have the pleasure in dealing out the first twenty lashes, considering it was you who bulldozed over his body with absolutely no respect."

I shake my head violently, sheer terror enveloping me in an embrace so tight that my lungs constrict.

"The only thing I will take pleasure in is tearing your limbs off your body one by one if you don't unchain the girl," a growling voice says from the entrance of the gate. "Immediately."

My head swivels so fast and sudden that my eyes need a moment to focus on who is standing outside the iron gate. When I finally recognize who it is, even my skin seems to tremble as I hold my breath, waiting for the moment he realizes what I am. The moment when he takes that strip of leather and whips it across my body.

"Your majesty?" Ms. Granelle squeaks. "I'm not sure I understand."

"Did I stutter?" The Moon king asks, eyes taking on a black tinge as if he's trying to hold his wolf back but failing miserably.

Ms. Granelle's fingers start to shake ever so slightly as she answers, "No, no, your highness! Of course not! I'm just unsure of what you are saying."

The Moon king reaches out, and in one swift movement, shatters the iron latch in his fist before stepping inside the ring of sand.

"I am saying," he starts slowly, his feet taking step by terrifying step towards us. "That if you don't unchain my mate this instant, I will let my wolf eat your bones."

Breathing is a losing battle at this point, and I'm pretty sure every single one of my limbs is numb.

Ms. Granelle gasps, her hand coming up to cover her mouth as her eyes morph into saucers.

"Your mate?" She asks incredulously. "With all due respect, your majesty, she can't be your mate. She's nothing but a maid."

His growl this time is nothing but inhuman and feral.

His wolf.

"I won't ask again," he says so low I almost don't catch it.

Ms. Granelle swallows audibly before fumbling to unravel my wrists from their chained prison. I roll the tender joints once the metal is off, holding back a cringe at the purple already starting to stain my skin.

My eyes trail up of their own accord, finding the silence too still.

Swirls of amber greet me, and the oxygen in my lungs freezes for a second before starting to force itself out of my mouth in giant bursts.

Even his eyes look like they could slice you in half.

Why is he still here? Didn't he hear Ms. Granelle? I'm nothing but a maid.

His gaze searches me, looking for what, I don't know, but something inside of me stirs nervously with his attention so solidly on me.

"Follow me," he commands softly, like the animalistic rage he just let free never happened.

My body complies without thinking. Following orders is like a second nature to me.

"There has to be some kind of mistake," Ms. Granelle sputters as she hurries after us. "She just can't be your mate."

"If I wanted your opinion I would've asked for it," the Moon king says coolly. "Keep your mouth shut about what you think she can or can't be, since clearly you have no idea."

She flinches, and an odd sort of satisfaction fills me at our roles being reversed for once.

The Great Hall comes back into view, its elaborate golden windows shimmering from the sun that beats a steady rhythm through the kingdom.

"Stay behind me," the Moon king orders.

With a jolt, I realize the command is for me.

I nod stiffly, my body paralyzed with the fear of going back in there only to be humiliated by the revelation that I have a mate who doesn't want me. The laughter and pointing that will follow the words.

A tremor works its way up my spine, and I see the hint of a frown on the Moon king's face before he turns back around and opens the door.

"The man of the hour! I've been looking for you everywhere! Where did-"  Alexander's face contorts in disgust as he catches sight of me, and I try to shrink into the floor as his gaze narrows on my figure.

I would run back into the kitchen if the Moon king hadn't ordered otherwise.

"Is there a reason you are lurking like an unwanted bug behind royalty?" Alexander asks with a scowl twisting his face. "Go back to the kitchen, maid, or punishment will be doled out."

I look at my worn grey sneakers as I start to obey him, but the Moon king puts an arm out to block my path.

"Actually, Alexander, she will be going nowhere except with me," he says, voice chilled. "Meet my mate."