Chapter 21

Inara

The first thing I notice when my consciousness comes back is that nothing hurts. There's no fire, and I can move without any sharp pains.

I'm still lying in Aziel's bed, (as evidenced by the luscious, soft, and comfortable material beneath me) and that means that I'm still in his room. I don't remember much from the last day or however long I was out, but I do remember that I haven't left this room. It's like the one thing that kept me linked to reality. Aziel's scent is everywhere, and it's both intoxicating and comforting.

It's more potent now, though, like he's been here recently. I wish he was here right now. Walking along the cliff of death really makes you realize that life is too short to cower in the presence of what you want. Either you take it, or you regret refusing it.

Rough fingers skirt along my forehead, tingles following their path.

My eyes open, hoping but not expecting to find Aziel there. I almost throw myself into his arms as I realize that it really is him.

"You're too far away," I mumble, my voice still groggy with sleep.

Surprise flashes in his eyes, and I can't say I blame him considering I am equally surprised, but then it's gone as he smiles wide.

"I didn't know you wanted me to be closer," he says, climbing onto the other side of the bed. "My apologies, your highness."

My breath stutters and I cringe. "That's quite the title, your majesty. Are you sure it belongs to me?"

I don't realize I'm holding my breath until my chest begins to burn. I can't believe how much I'm riding on his answer when I already know what it's gonna be. He's made his intentions clear from the beginning.

He leans close before tucking a stray strand of hair behind my ear. "I can't think of anyone that would suit it more."

Relief burns through my body, but this time it doesn't hurt. It feels like hope, real and true, for the first time in a long while.

"How are you feeling?" Aziel asks, looking me over as if he can see the evidence of what that drug did.

I shift just to make sure it doesn't sting, and then a small smile lights my lips as I say, "So much better."

His fingers fiddle with the loose hair that's splayed on my pillow, reminding me that I probably look like a disaster right now.

"I thought I was gonna lose you," Aziel murmurs.

There's so much pain in his voice, like the mere thought is enough to have him spiraling.

I sit up slightly, testing the soreness in my muscles before I lean over to lay my head in his lap. He stills for a minute, and instinct has me tensing, ready to jump off of him if necessary, but then he relaxes. His hands fold into my hair, lightly playing with the strands, and it feels like the most natural thing in the world.

"My parents passed in a forest fire," I blurt.

The sentence is so sudden that even I'm surprised for a minute. Something about this moment, though, has me wanting to tell him things. He asked about my family when I came here, and I lied, thinking that the truth would get me punished, but as I lay here after avoiding death, I can't help but want to tell him everything.

He doesn't say anything, but I can tell he wants me to continue, so I do.

"My father was a soldier, and soldiers don't hesitate in the face of danger, so when he saw that the forest had caught fire, he ran into action. He managed to get most of it under control, but then a surprise patch caught him off guard. My mother told me to stay inside the house as she ran in after him." My breathing shudders as I remember what happened next. "I waited for hours for them to come back, and when they didn't, I went looking for them. The forest was blocked off, and when I asked one of the soldiers what had happened, he told me they had died." A single tear runs down my cheek, but I wipe it away. "So many children lost their parents that day. We became orphans, and since children can't work as soldiers, we became servants in the palace."