Epilogue

Inara

There are a lot of people waiting as Aziel and I walk outside. There's also an enormous amount of decorations.

String lights hang from all the trees bracketing the backside of the palace, and each one emits a tiny glow that makes the surrounding space twinkle. Tables lined in black fabric litter the grass, and dishes have been neatly set upon each one. There's a little something everywhere you look, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

"You did this?" I ask Aziel, turning around to face him.

He shakes his head with a small chuckle. "I'm flattered that you think I could do all of this. Penny and Kiana orchestrated all of the decorating, and Zara did everything related to food. But everyone kinda helped with everything. My staff knows how to throw a party."

I grin as I look back at the crowd. "They sure do."

He holds out his hand. "Are you ready to rule this kingdom with me?"

I link our fingers before saying, "Definitely."

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

I am officially the queen of Moon. It feels pretty surreal to say that. Nothing feels different, but somehow I know it's about to be a lot different.

"Do I have to start calling you 'your majesty' now?" Kiana asks, grimacing. "Because that's kinda weird considering I've known you almost all your life."

I laugh as I take a bite of cake. "I think I like my name much better."

She takes a giant bite of her desert, talking around a mouthful as she says, "Good. where is Zara? I seriously need to thank her for introducing my tastebuds to this work of art."

And work of art it was. Both the look and taste of it.

I look around, finding nothing.

"Maybe she went to bed?" I say, looking one more time.

Something hits our table so suddenly that I jump, looking up to see Zara standing there, hands braced on the table and an excited look on her face.

"I danced with someone!"

My eyes widen, excited. "Zara! That's awesome! Who is it?"

A dreamy look passes on her face as she says, "I don't know, but he was so handsome."

Kiana giggles quietly, but I laugh out loud.

"How do you not know?" I ask.

She slumps into the chair across from me, but that dreamy look is still in place.

"I didn't ask for his name," she says, brows furrowing. "But I do that he's a soldier, so that narrows it down a little for when I ask him later."

I raise an eyebrow. "Why don't you just go ask him now?"

She looks appalled. "I can't! I'll look desperate!"

"Zara, darling, men don't read that deep into things," Kiana says, smiling. "I bet if you ask him right now, you will look nothing but eloquent."

"Does that work the same with women?"

Kiana's head whips around, and I look up to see Nicholas standing behind Kiana's chair.

He holds out a hand. "Do I look eloquent as I ask you if you would join me for the next dance?"

Kiana swallows before dawning a nervous smile and laying her hand within his. "I would be honoured to join you."

Zara sighs as they walk away. "They're so cute."

"They really are." I say.

A throat clears behind me. "May I have this dance, your majesty?"

I smile to myself before turning around to face Aziel. "You can't keep calling me that."

He smirks. "Why not, your majesty?"

I shake my head, but I'm smiling too wide for it to mean anything. "Because I like my other nickname better."

He bows before holding out his hand. "Alright, my love, may I have this dance?"

"You may."

I go to stand up but turn back at the last second.

"Go get your man, Zara," I whisper, making sure our eyes lock. "Love doesn't wait for breaks in a song. It tears through the whole playlist. Go find your happily ever after."

She grins before jumping from her chair and practically sprinting for the dance floor.

"What was that about? Did she finally find someone?" Aziel asks.

I stare after her, smiling. "Yes, she did."

Aziel tucks a curled piece of hair behind my ear. "Did you ever find yours?"

I look back at him, brows furrowed. "My what?"

He smiles. "You're happily ever after."

I shake my head, but I'm still smiling. "No." I wrap my arms around his neck. "It found me."

We aren't on the dance floor, but he starts to sway us side to side.

"I love you," he murmurs, leaning down to kiss my lips.

My smile feels like a drug as it rises on my face. "I love you too."

He spins me out, and then pulls me into a dip so fast that I almost lose my balance.

A pop sounds, and I startle, but then another goes off, and another and another until the air is filled with pops and shoots.

"Look up," Aziel whispers.

I do, and the sight makes me gasp.

The sky is covered in blue and silver. Splattered shapes dot the wide expanse in a canvas of chaos, and it's beautiful.

Cheers and shouts rise everywhere, and I laugh as I wrap my arms around Aziel.

"Thank you, Aziel," I say into his chest. "You made this day truly special."

He rests his chin on my head, and it feels so right, so perfect that I can't believe it's real. But it is, and I get to live in this moment forever, resting assured that it will never falter, because I have my shadow to make sure it stays alive.

The End

Thank you so much for reading!!❤️❤️ I hope you enjoyed reading this book as much as I enjoyed writing it!!