Chapter 12

Aziel

It's like I can physically feel the nerves radiating off of Inara. I don't know why she would be afraid of a doctor. I don't know a lot of things about her, but I intend to find out at least some today.

We turn left on the second floor, and white walls greet us. The brightest place in the entire kingdom. The bold black letters that say Medics Wing stand out against everything, and I feel my mate shudder beside me.

"What do you think is in there?" I ask, and she jumps, clearly not expecting me to speak.

Her eyes slip to the closed double doors and then back to me, searching, observing, and always looking for the next trick. It makes me feel twisted up inside to even think about what kind of events made her mind to program itself that way.

"A doctor," she murmurs, eyes staring at the doors now.

I crouch down, putting myself at her level as I ask, "And what's so bad about doctors?"

Her eyelashes flutter, teeth sliding out to knaw on her bottom lip. I have a very sudden urge to pull it out with my own teeth, and I dismiss the thought immediately.

Stop drooling, I scold my wolf. Your insensible thoughts are leaking into my conscious.

I'm not apologizing for being incredibly attracted to my mate, he snips, voice bored.

Inara's arms move to wrap around her middle, fingers twisting in the fabric of her shirt.

"You can trust me," I whisper, my eyes catching hers and holding, begging her to believe my words. "I am not the same king, nor is this the same kingdom. Things are drastically different here."

Her throat rolls with an audible swallow, and her eyes start to glisten. She blinks rapidly, but it only makes them fall to the ground in little drops of sadness.

"Hey," I start softly. "I hate it when you cry, love. What did I say? How can I make it better?"

She sniffs, wiping at her eyes angrily, but more tears replace them, falling over her fingers in endless succession.

I grab her shoulders gently, waiting for resistance, and upon finding none, I pull her into my arms. She doesn't hesitate at all, and I almost gasp in surprise as her arms wrap around my neck. Maybe I am doing something right if she feels safe enough to cry in my arms.

"Please," she whispers shakily.

My heart cracks, the reverberations echoing around my chest like lighting, quick and sharp.

"Please what, love?"

She digs her face deeper into my neck, seeking comfort, and I all but melt in response.

"Don't send me in there," she says, her words muffled by my neck. "I promise I'll be better."

My wolf snarls, and I shove him back, fortifying my mental walls.

"I told you this isn't a punishment, Inara," I murmur, hoping my voice is calmer than the raging flames burning hot in my chest. "I only want to make sure you're not hurting anywhere."

I know she wouldn't tell me if she was, and the thought of her in pain is all I can think about now. I need to know there's no injuries and no former scars that are causing her any discomfort.

"Penny is one of nicest people you will ever meet," I start. "And I swear she wouldn't lay a finger anywhere you don't want her to. She is very gentle, and if you aren't comfortable with something all you have to do is say the word and she'll stop. I promise you, she will not intentionally harm you."