CHAPTER THIRTEEN - COMING TO TERMS

It had been a week since Dalton's party. Cindy's bruise had luckily healed after a few days. For the most part, she was able to hide it well. Very few people asked her about it and most of the glances she got from those that noticed it kept to their own business. It was an uncomfortable feeling knowing that so many people could see something wrong and keep walking away. At the same time, she did not want to draw her injury any attention.

Cindy's mother noticed the bruise the day after Dalton's party. She asked for a family meeting, something Cindy knew would be inevitable. Cindy admitted that she went to a party, but lied about the source of the black eye. She explained that the injury came from a drunk girl that had gotten in her face over something stupid.

"She must have had too much to drink," She told her mother, "And mistook me for someone else. Luckily, Ryan took her off me before she could keep punching."

The lie didn't appear to calm her mother's concern. "Do you know who she was? We can file a police report. We can call Ryan's dad."

Her father held his wife's hand; a protective, but dismissing gesture. "It sounds like she got it sorted out, dear."

Claudia could read through her husband's intentions. "No! That's not enough!" She got off the couch and approached her daughter. "Do you remember what she looked like? Do you know where she goes to school?"

It pained Cindy to shake her head. The last thing she wanted to do was to add more lies to the one she already told. However, she knew the alternative, telling the truth, would only further upset her mother. "I have no idea who she was. She was probably some girl from another city visiting."

Her mother became on the verge of tears. "But that's not good enough!"

Mrs. Harrington broke down as her husband held her. Cindy suspected the outcome of the meeting was going to end like this. Had Cindy been a less observant person, she would have assumed that Mrs. Harrington was doing this for selfish reasons. But the truth was Cindy understood how much her mother loved her. She knew her mom didn't want to see her get hurt anymore. The notion made the lie even more painful.

As Jay held his wife, he exchanged a muted look with Cindy. "We're really sorry about what happened. I'm just glad you had your boyfriend there to help protect you."

Cindy suspected her father didn't really mean what he said. He was just saying it to hopefully defuse the situation with his wife. Minutes later, after Mrs. Harrington had gone to bed, the suspicion was confirmed.

"Please, be more careful." Mr. Harrington's tone was more vulnerable, as if he was allowing his true emotions to show. His slouched posture and frowning face insinuated his truth. "We don't want to see you get hurt anymore."

While Cindy could understand where her father was coming from, the last sentence felt like he was suggesting a part of this situation was her fault. She was sure that it wasn't what her father meant, but the words weighed heavily on her. For next week, Cindy drifted through a montage of isolation and quiet depression.