CHAPTER FIFTEEN - SLEEPY, THE PLUG

While Texas Street was an often wicked place, it was just one of the few most dangerous areas in Whatcom County

While Texas Street was an often wicked place, it was just one of the few most dangerous areas in Whatcom County. On one's way to the costly skiing and snowboarding resort of Mt. Baker, thirty minutes from Barclay, there was a small town halfway through the trip called Maple Falls. While predominantly a blue collar town with many lumber workers, it was also a well known drug hub with the highest substance addiction rates in all of the county. Much of the manufacturing and trafficking of substances in Whatcom, specifically crystal meth, started in Maple Falls.

Sitting in the woodlands of Maple Falls was a house; a once cozy three bedroom home constructed with the purpose of housing a lumber worker's family. It now belonged to the drug dealer known as Tristan Smits, nicknamed Sleepy, a tall, lanky, and formally muscular man in his early thirties. Tristan earned his nickname from his brutal knockouts that put his opponents to sleep. Covering his body were more than a dozen tattoos, most of them representing his gang association. Dark bags sagged under his yellow hued eyes from his years of substance abuse. One of his front teeth was missing from a fight he had gotten into years ago.

Abandoned in his preteens, Sleepy grew up in the streets of Seattle. He barely knew his biological parents. They were both "crack-heads" who were always looking for their next fix. In and out of foster homes most of his life, Sleepy eventually found himself living with an adoptive family in Barclay. Known to start fights both verbal and physical with students and teachers, he did not last long with his new guardians. He did, however, find a new family; the Blood gang West Side Piru.

Despite the Piru's only having around fifty members and associates in Whatcom County, their rap sheet was extensive. Their known crimes listed from the sheriff's department included counterfeiting, theft, possession of stolen property, burglary, robbery, home invasion robbery, drug possession, the manufacturing and delivery of drugs, dangerous weapons, theft of a firearm, threats, domestic violence, kidnapping, aggravated assault with a knife, rape of a child, sex crimes, felony assault, and murder. For all the offenses listed, Sleepy had seen or participated in most of them.

After years of being a soldier for his gang, Sleepy was given the responsibility of running a Piru trap house. The cocaine they trafficked came up from Los Angeles and would stop at Seattle. Anything left over would make its way to various other counties in the state, including Whatcom. To stretch out the supply, the cocaine would be turned to crack to increase profits. However, meth was proving to be far more profitable and could be made anywhere. With the greater profitability of meth, Sleepy's attention was turning to the new drug. So was Kenny's.

Late into the night, at nearly 2 am, Kenny's BMW parked next to Sleepy's 2004 Cadillac CTS sedan. The Cadillac's new sleek and shiny black paint job was the car's second most impressive feature next to the gold rims on the car's tires.

Marcus stared at the Cadillac, impressed, and whistled. "Damn. This fool must be doing good, huh?"

Kenny grimaced. He could not help, but feel jealous. "Fool spent all his money on a whip and a shitty ass house."