CHAPTER SIXTEEN - THE DEATH OF THE HONEYMOON PHASE

Five days was all it took for Ashley to find out Luke was selling ecstasy, not that he was that discrete about it

Five days was all it took for Ashley to find out Luke was selling ecstasy, not that he was that discrete about it. Luke expected that the knowledge would come from his own admission, but instead fate had other plans.

As the bell rang at Squalicum for the first class of the day, Luke was making a sale to a junior.

"Just open up your bag quickly." Luke said. "You can put the cash in my pocket. I didn't see Russ around."

The junior put fifty dollars in one of Luke's tight jean pockets. Despite his jeans being a size large, Luke's massive, muscular thighs made the attire a slightly uncomfortable, cramped fit.

Doesn't matter, Luke thought. I'll be able to get like four new pairs this week.

Luke speedily put a sandwich bag with five ecstasy pills in the junior's backpack. Thinking quickness was his way of being inconspicuous was ironically to Luke's detriment. Ashley, who had just arrived at school and was going to greet her boyfriend, saw Luke quickly put the bag in the junior's backpack. Though initially skeptical at what she saw, it was easy to come to realization of what was happening.

That's not Advil, was the first thought that crossed her mind.

"Did you know?" Cindy asked.

Ryan's first thought was to lie. But despite having grown to live with his horrible secret over the last six months, Ryan didn't feel comfortable with the idea of fibbing, especially not to Cindy.

That's not me. It's not who I am.

He grabbed his statistics book out of his locker and answered, "Well, yeah - But I'm not - I'm not selling it." The stammering admission didn't necessarily make him feel better.

"But you knew though?"

Ryan suddenly felt like he was back in the police interrogation room. "Yeah - but - I mean..." Get it together. He shrugged. "What am I supposed to do? He needs money. Am I supposed to tell him not to?"

"You could have told him to get another job."

He felt like replying, Not one that paid him $1000 in five days. Then he shook his head. Don't say that. "He shares a car with his mom. I don't think he's in the position to do much." He put his hand on Cindy's shoulder, as if to dismiss her worries. "I'm sure this is only temporary."

Cindy glanced at Ryan's hand. Her expression made Ryan immediately feel like his tactic had failed.

She responded, "Is selling weed only temporary for you too?"

Damn. "Look," he began. "If you want me to do something else, just let me know. None of this is permanent. I don't want to sell for the rest of my life. I'm sure Luke doesn't want that either."

Truthfully, Ryan wasn't sure if what he said was his honest feelings or another attempt at disarming his girlfriend's concerns. For all the time he planned for his future the summer before high school, a clear vision of where his life should go from here seemed uncertain at best.