Chapter 9

Queens Solar. Silva, Ahigarth

Rose

The council didn't linger long after Rhys left the room. The moment everyone left, I moved toward the fireplace, a smoldering fire barely alive, and sat down heavily on one of the plush couches. 

Alone with my thoughts, I leaned back into the soft cushion behind me and let out a long sigh. It was a sound loaded with frustration and sadness. 

It only took three months to receive my first threat. 

Lovely. 

I must have done something in my life for the Gods to punish me so. I don't know what I could've done to offend Matris, but apparently, I found a way because why else was this happening?

Only a few months ago, my dying father married me off to a hateful and cruel man. A man who enjoyed hurting me for his pleasure. It hadn't mattered to Lord Bain that my father was dying as long as he got what he wanted. Then King Stephen died, and Bain sought to not only hurt me but hurt my best friend in the process. Thankfully, he hadn't been successful. 

I thought life was taking a turn for the better when I became Queen without issue from my council or the Emperor of Ahigarth. And yet here I am, three months on the throne, and another cruel man is trying to take everything away from me once again. 

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried, in vain, to calm my erratic heartbeat. I am the Queen of Silva, dammit. I am above some witless stranger on a fool's errand. I am no longer a helpless Princess without the means to handle this threat. I have a responsibility to protect Silva, my people, and my family. And I will not let any of them down. 

I had my moment to cry and feel sorry for myself. That moment was over now. 

But Gods. I'll be damned if I ever forget that moment in Dame Rhys's arms. Without a doubt, that memory will be something I cherish for years to come whenever I need to feel safe. 

Logically I know that isn't something I can afford to do, to find comfort in the Dame's embrace, no matter how good or right it felt. That sort of behavior wasn't appropriate for a Queen. But dammit...the mere thought of not being close to her made my chest ache in a way I couldn't understand. I needed to forget whatever these strange feelings were. 

I groaned into the empty room, rubbing a hand over my face in frustration. 

The fighter is going to be staying in the small room connected to my private bedchamber. 

Shit

A firm knock on the solar door pulled me from my irritating thoughts, and I gathered my wits about me moments before Rhys and Anaya entered the room. The Dame carried a small dark brown chest while her sister carried a fresh pitcher of cool water with small ice cubes, a luxury, over to the table. 

Anaya set the pitcher down and smiled at me. "I hope you don't mind, my lady, but Dame Rhys mentioned a little about what's going on. I thought you might like something cool to relax your nerves." She bowed her head, dipping low in a show of respect. "I am here to make sure you're comfortable, my lady. Whatever you need, call on me. I am here for you." The young woman's actions and genuine concern touched me. To show such kindness...It made me respect Anaya even more than before.