15

"Well, ok, if you're sure it's not a bother, then we'll drop Aiko off here for playdates once a fortnight?" Aiko's dad suggested.
"That sounds perfect. See you in a fortnight then," I answered, finally settling regular playdates for the two children, "oh if you or your family even need anything feel free to ask me I'm happy to help however I can," I added because I wouldn't mind helping this family as they all seem quite kind.
"Thanks for the offer, same to you. If you two ever need help, just ask, and we'll do what we can," Aiko's dad replied with a sincere smile.

I just smiled as a way of showing my thanks, and before long, the family of four had departed from my sight.

With the guests gone me and Danny returned to our regular routine, but every fortnight, a little guest would visit for the day to spend time with Danny.

Before I knew it, 10 years had passed.

The apocalypse was still continuing on, but humanity had managed to create a bit of breathing room from what I heard.

Danny is now 20 and luckily he doesn't hate me like I worried, he's realised by this point that it's not nomal to just stop ageing, but he also knows it's not my fault. Aiko is 18 now and has also grown into a splendid adult, I also realised a couple of years ago that Aiko was the protagonist. Honestly, I felt a little stupid that it took me this long to realise, but even if I knew from the get-go, I don't think my actions would have changed.

Other than the children growing up, they've started dating 'in secret', not that it's very well hidden. The two got together when Danny was 17 and Aiko 15 as a result of an embarrassing coincidence. It's not my business, so I won't expand, but ever since, I put a lock on the bathroom door.

It's been 15 years since the apocalypse broke out, and Danny's all grown up. Thinking about how he'll probably want to set out with his boyfriend soon makes me feel a little sad. What if something bad happens when I'm not around to save him? Or if he can't find any food to eat?

Fine, I've come to a decision. I've spent almost my entire time during this apocalypse in this safe little paradise of my own creation, and so has Danny, if I had to choose I'd rather be the one who leaves it so Danny can be safe.

"Danny, come here hun," I called into the living room where Danny was sitting reading.
"Yeah?" Danny called back as he began to head over here.
"I have something I wanna discuss with you," I said as I turned to face him.
"What is it, mam?" Danny asked with a hint of confusion on his face.
"I know you're all grown up now and will probably want your own space soon, so I've decided to give you the house, and I'm going to explore the world. That way I'll know your sade and you and your little boyfriend won't have to worry about anything. Oh, by the way, I found a set of wedding rings and left it in your room for you just in case. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of leaving tomorrow," I finished.
"What? No, mam, don't leave, I love you also don't talk about Aiko like that!" Danny replied, not sure which parts to focus on.
"I'll come back and visit, I'm just going to see the world. You know how strong I am, so there's no need to worry. Zombies could never hurt me!" I reassured Danny with a silly smile.
"I'm not worried about zombies..." Danny muttered under his breath.

It's honestly a bad habit of his.

"Danny, what have I told you. If you want to say something to me, just say it. You're all grown up now, so why are you still as childish as when you were 10?" I complained.

However, I was unable to really stay mad at him, and he knew that.

"Fine, I said I'm not worried about the zombies! I'm worried about some stupid man taking advantage of you because you're too nice! You're beautiful and look as if we're the same age, so how could I not be worried!" Danny screamed before running out of the room and upstairs.

My face was burning as I looked towards where my son had disappeared from my view. I was overcome by disbelief as I stood frozen in the kitchen, he's worried about me being taken advantage of? He thinks I'm beautiful?

I don't know what to think anymore, but I'm not going to change my mind. Maybe I'm selfish. Slapping my cheeks gently, I began to pack a bag to take with me when I left. I wasn't worried about Danny as long as he stayed here because I've taught him everything he'd need to know, he can cook, bake, garden and wash clothes. He knows how to make simple repairs and how to read as well as write, so he should be able to live here happily with Aiko.

In the bag, I just took a few homemade canned fruits and meat as well as homemade instant noodles, a can opener, 5 changes of clothes, 2 sets of pyjamas, a bar of soap, 3 2l bottles of water, 2 bowls, 2 sets of chopsticks, a bottle of perfume I'd made, a small pistol with 3 full magazines and a sharp small knife.

With the bag finally packed, I put it next to my bed, took a shower, changed into my pyjamas, and fell asleep. That night was dreamless, and I awoke at dawn, much earlier than usual. However, I was glad as Danny normally woke up at 8, so I had a few hours to leave. I know I need to leave before Danny wakes up because if I saw him, my resolve might crumble.