Chapter 6: Insurmountable Grief

Summary:

Naruto celebrates his birthday. He gets tragic news. Consequences follow (Or Naruto's desire to leave Konoha manifests itself).
___________________________________

It was a chilly autumn day in October. The trees were an array of multiple colours of yellow, orange, red and brown. The wind was crisp and the smell of the cool season filled the woods.

Naruto sat on the grass of the woods. The soft blades of greenery brushed against his thin legs. A journal was open in his lap and a pencil was flying across the page in quick efficient strokes. Naruto's cherubic face was tight in concentration and his blue eyes were thoughtful as he mapped out new techniques.

An enthusiastic greeting broke through the silence of the woods and the blond huffed under his breath in annoyance, pausing in his sketch. A shadow obscured the afternoon rays of the sun and he heard a familiar voice speak close to him.

"Oi kozō, is that a new deathly technique?" Shisui inquired with a grin as he crouched down next to him, eyeing his latest sketch with curious and eager eyes.

Naruto huffed under his breath, turning back to his sketch, ignoring the exuberant shinobi.

Shisui took a seat next to him and made a thoughtful sound, eyeing the diagram with dark curious eyes. His dark curls ticked his face as he leaned into his personal space, resting his chin on his small shoulder.

"How do you even come up with such terrifying ideas?" Shisui wondered curiously.

Naruto shrugged.

"If that technique works, you can expel the precise amount of chakra and control all the strings at once... damn." Shisui whistled appreciatively.

"You have to let me see it!" The shinobi exclaimed, turning to him with large pleading eyes.

Naruto rolled his eyes and closed his notebook with a definite smack. Shisui continued pouting and whining childishly until Naruto relented with an annoyed scowl.

"Okay! Just shut up!" He hissed in an exasperated tone.

The teen cheered in triumph and pulled out a basket from his side.

Naruto glanced over at the teen and frowned at the sight of a large basket in the arms of the shinobi. Shisui beamed as he noticed his questioning gaze. Shisui took multiple items out of the basket, laying down a thick blanket on the grass. He pulled out a significant number of packaged food and a decorated cake.

The nin rummaged through his backpack and pulled out a long box, wrapped tightly in black cloth. He held it out to the small boy with a grin. Naruto stared at him in confusion. The teenager pursued his lips, huffing under his breath and shoved the package gently into the blond's arms.

"What?" Naruto questioned, staring down at the box.

"Aha always so suspicious kozō. I promise I come with only peaceful intentions today." The teen spoke with a soft smile.