Chapter 2 🍃

It took Xu Qing the entire afternoon to prepare the vegetable plots. He turned over the soil on each side of the courtyard entrance, creating two dense enclosures using bamboo poles to protect the vegetables from the chickens in the future. Speaking of chickens, Xu Qing couldn't understand why the original body hadn't raised pigs or other common farm animals.

After tidying up the yard and disposing of the debris under a large banyan tree outside, Xu Qing walked back into the kitchen. He scooped some of the remaining hot water from the pot he had used to cook lunch and poured it into a wooden basin. Carrying the basin, he made his way to the washstand by the well. Xu Qing took the towel from the stand and placed it on the edge of the basin. As soon as he splashed water on his face, he felt a tingling sensation and itching.

"Tsk, this is quite serious," Xu Qing muttered to himself. He carefully washed his face with water and gently wiped off the droplets with the towel. It was inconvenient for a man to be so meticulous in washing his face, but Xu Qing had no choice. He needed to take extra care to avoid aggravating the pimples on his face. Despite the original body's disdain for his appearance, he hadn't taken proper care of his face and sometimes wouldn't even bother washing it at all. Xu Qing pointed his index and middle fingers towards the basin, and a stream of water flowed out from the tips of his fingers. It was the spiritual spring water from his space. Due to the accumulation of pimples on his face, he needed to treat them with care. To avoid drawing attention from the villagers with his rapid transformation, he only released a small amount of the spring water. He used it to wash his face, which had been softened with hot water. Xu Qing poured the remaining water in the basin into a small ditch and returned to the kitchen to prepare more hot water.

Despite the cool temperature at the end of winter, Xu Qing found himself sweating after all the physical exertion. By the time he finished bathing in the hot water, darkness had already fallen outside. He lit an oil lamp, fried the leftover vegetables and garlic sprouts with the cooked rice from lunch, and made a simple bowl of fried rice. After dinner, Xu Qing cleaned up his sleeping area, fixed the straw mattress, and repaired the broken bed frame. It was around nine o'clock when he finally lay down to rest. In ancient times, there were no nighttime entertainments, and with no family to engage in conversation, Xu Qing simply went to bed early.

The next day, Xu Qing had plans to visit the market and purchase a pig, a few chickens, and some new clothes. He also intended to get a puppy to serve as a house guardian when he wasn't around. Curled up in a ball with the quilt, Xu Qing quickly fell into a deep and peaceful sleep. It was the most relaxing rest he had experienced since arriving in this world.

As the morning light filled the room, Xu Qing yawned and got up, feeling the cool air against his face. He changed into the only decent clothing the original body owned, a dark blue garment. He set aside the patched overnight clothes and made his way to the kitchen. Xu Qing poured water and maize into a pot, preparing to make a simple corn porridge for breakfast. While the porridge cooked, he hurried to the well and retrieved the willow branches that had been soaking in the wooden basin the previous day. These branches served as his toothbrush, following an ancient Chinese technique. By biting the soaked branches, the willow fibers inside acted as bristles, providing a convenient toothbrush. After brushing his teeth, Xu Qing carefully washed his face with the spring water. This time, he didn't experience the tingling and itching from the day before. In a good mood, he enjoyed his breakfast. Once he finished eating, Xu Qing locked the courtyard door and set off towards the village in the south.

Not knowing the exact location of the market, Xu Qing decided to seek help from Aunty Xie, the person who often assisted the original body in buying seeds. Aunty Xie's family hailed from Jixiang village, but she married Xie Changming, a man from Xingfu village. Despite not having any children yet, Aunty Xie and her husband led a good life. Xie Changming was one of the few who had gotten married in the past few years, causing envy among the single men in the village.

Aunty Xie's house was the first one at the edge of the village, a rare blue brick house. There were only three such houses in Xingfu village. The yard was enclosed by a stone wall, although not as tall as the one surrounding the Xu family's house. Xu Qing's family had a close relationship with Aunty Xie's family in the village.

A man with a hoarse voice emerged from the house and asked, "Who is it?"

"Go and open the door. It's the end of winter, Brother Qing might be coming to buy seeds," a soft voice replied. Xu Qing had the impression that the owner of such a voice must be a gentle person.