Chapter 4 🍃

“Why do I have this feeling that I forgot to buy something?” Xu Qing locked the courtyard door.  He was unsettled, and wanted to scratch his head habitually, but he didn’t want to mess up the already made-up hair or the bamboo hairpin securing the hair in place.  He wasn’t used to having such long hair.  He finally made a decision and reluctantly pulled out the “new” jewelry from his head.  He then walked towards the kitchen with a little satisfaction.

Xu Qing started the fire, added a few pieces of dry wood, and scooped the warm water, that was left in the pot from when he was using it in the morning, into the basin.  He then sat it aside; It would be used to wash his face later.  He poured the clean water into the pot to cook rice and covered with the wooden lid.  He went inside the storage room to find a knife and left for the vegetable garden.

There weren’t many vegetables inside the yard.  After all, he has been eating them lately.  Besides, there were only some ginger, garlic, and green vegetables there.  So, he decided to go to the Xu family vegetable field outside.  It was only a few steps from the house.  It was easy to reach, and there were quite a few veggies there.  Xu Qing closed the door slightly.  Since the plot wasn’t far, he wasn’t worried at all.

A distance away in the village, there is some faint laughter of children playing.  Xu Qing gazed over; he felt a little sour.  It’s so lively over there.  He didn’t know when he’d be able to have his own family in this world.  Xu Qing felt his cheeks burning hot thinking of starting a family, “What are you thinking, Xu Qing eh?”  He smacked the back of his head for his own silly thoughts, and walked hurriedly towards the vegetable field.

He bought some pork belly at the market today.  Unfortunately, he couldn’t eat spicy food in fear of worsening the pimples.  Xu Qing felt regretful.  He wasn’t a picky eater, except when it comes to spicy food.  That would never change.  But he couldn’t help it.  He had to avoid eating spicy food for the sake of his face.  Otherwise, even with the help of spring water, his face would not be completely healed.  In order to be able to eat spicy food in the future, he would endure it now.

At the market, he forgot to buy other seasonings and first asked the shopkeeper for the chili powder.  He was told, “This little one, I don’t know what the chili powder is.  How does it taste?  I have been running this shop for so many years, but never heard of this thing before.”  His heart was heavy; there was no chili in this world.

Xu Qing walked around the field where there were not many vegetables growing, and finally picked a handful of bitter chrysanthemums.  He would make a cold bitter chrysanthemum and fried shredded celery pork; he also picked up a few cabbages to prepare a clear soup, and left after he got everything he needed.  Although he was alone, he still wanted to live a good life.  Xu Qing slammed close the gate to relieve his frustration.  He decided he would let himself have a good time; he would have a good time today.

He placed the fresh veggies by the well and washed his hands.  He went back to the kitchen to check on the water.  He poured the rice in and added more firewood to the stove.  He then went on to clean the veggies left by the well.

He spent 650 coppers to buy the piglet, sixty coppers for three pieces of cloth, 15 coppers for the seasonings, and 20 coppers for the pork belly.  Wait, how much for the seeds?  Xu Qing stopped washing the cabbage, and jumped up with both hands in the air, “I forgot to buy the seeds!”  Xu Qing looked at the two plots, which were cleared yesterday to grow vegetables, with frustration.  He cried without tears, “How could I forget?”

“Ugh, it seems that I have to go to the market again in a few days.”  Xu Qing was a little confused.  He thought that his memory had declined a little.  The original Xu Qing might have been like a child.  Xu Qing scratched his messy hair with wet fingers, and wondered if it was the physicality of the original body.