Chapter 7 🍃

Xu Qing, who watched Aunty Xie leave, still had red cheeks. He actually agreed? However, Xu Qing thought for a while, rather than waiting to marry an unknown man two months later, it is better to take advantage of these two months to find one.

When Xu Qing finished cleaning up, the sky was already bright. He ate the rabbit he couldn’t finish eating last night and the corn buns Aunty Xie brought for breakfast. After the breakfast, Xu Qing still wasn’t quite satisfied. He couldn’t eat corn buns and abuse his stomach. To let a Southerner eat corn buns every day is truly a crime.

He took out the small pepper tree from the space and planted it in the vegetable garden in the yard. He also took out the wild ginseng he dug yesterday. Ah, it is very fresh. He will sell it at the market the next time he goes so, he could “marry” his wife.

The piglet in the pigpen was already protesting wanting to eat some hogweed while the sun was not even up yet.

When Aunty Xie returned home, Uncle Xie was sitting in the yard smoking a cigarette. Seeing his wife who came back with the basket in his arms, he was a little surprised, “You’re back. Why are you bringing it back?”

“No, take it. You help me with the meat this afternoon, I’ll cook it.” Aunty Xie handed the basket to the head of the house and said with a smile.

Uncle Xie: “Is it alright?”

“It’s not just that it’s alright. Today Liu Mo will be here at noon. You can go out and go around by yourself when he’s here. Don’t listen to us talk.” This old man likes to hide secretly in the corner and eavesdrop on others.

“I say, why are you so excited? I will prepare the rabbit for you, and also that thing you bought yesterday.” Uncle Xie has been greedy for game meat for a long time.

“Look at what you said. Talking like the meat I bought yesterday is not meat.”

On the other side, Xu Qing carried a basket full of hogweed and walked on the green-colored path. The warmth of the sun cast long and mottled shadows from the gaps between the trees and the leaves; it was both warm and cool.

Of course, it would be better if there was no one who would always point to him on the road.

“So unfortunate. After many years, why is he still so ugly? I made a bet with Liu San’er from the village next door that he would become beautiful,” said by a man in beige top with indignation to the fat man beside him.

“Do you think everyone is the same as yours who is getting more and more beautiful every year?” Said the fat man who curled his lips, yes, he was still a single dog.

“Ha ha, why don’t you tell your father and just marry the ugly ger. Although he is a bit ugly, when you turn off the lights, it’s just a matter of time.” The beige shirt man who thought of his wife deliberately teased the fat man. He didn’t care if Xu Qing, who wasn’t far ahead, could hear him.

“Go, go, hurry up. I’m going to try my luck in the mountains. Although I’ve been doing miscellaneous work in the military camp for the past five years, I might be lucky to catch something good. Then I will go to the next village to propose a marriage immediately.”

“Ha ha, I’m just kidding. Let’s go.”

Xu Qing listened to the sound of them leaving and exhaled a long breath. These kinds of people are better to stay away from, otherwise they will be entangled endlessly. It seems that they are the people who have just returned from military service. “What’s wrong with being ugly? Ugly won’t marry you anyway.”

Xu Qing, who made up his mind to marry a ‘good guy’, walked home quickly, and chopped the hogweed to feed the piglet. Xu Qing was going to clean up the house. He separated all patched clothes and unpatched clothes and stacked them up. He took out all the cotton wool that had been used for many years, the unused duvet covers, and put them in the room where father and mother Xu lived before.