IV - The Folly of Faith

Jerrim appeared more alert in the morning. Leaving her small room, Liana was pleased to see him sitting up, thick blankets over his legs. His clean bandages looked clean fresh and covered less of his torso now.

"You look better," she told him.

Jerrim's grin was almost at full strength. "Elias fixed me up this morning with some creams and new bandages. Feeling much better."

His eyes were still dark, and she could see he was hiding the full extent of the pain. That was typical of him, always trying to show a stronger appearance.

"Good. And where is our gracious host?" She asked wearily, wondering if they were being overheard.

"I think I heard him outside a while ago."

Liana knelt beside Jerrim, lowering her voice. "I don't think we should stay here long. We don't know who this man is. You saw what he did to that thing on the beach."

"I know, but... he did save our lives," Jerrim told her. "He's taken care of us so far. He seems to mean well."

Liana frowned in thought.

Just then the front door opened and in walked Elias, shrouded in heavy cloaks of browns and greens.

"Morning," he said, his gruff voice sounding hoarse. He cleared his throat. "How are we today?"

"Better," Liana said, standing. "Thank you. For... everything you've done for us." She realised she hadn't thanked him nearly enough for saving their lives, despite not fully trusting him yet.

The old man studied her a moment, then nodded. "Think nothing of it."

He collected a few trinkets and tech off a shelf, packing them into a woollen rucksack which he slung over a shoulder.

"I will gather some food for us. Make yourselves comfortable here."

"May I come with you?" Liana was surprised she had asked this, but knew it was the right thing to do.

Elias paused, his cold grey eyes penetrating her again. He ran a hand over his scruffy beard, the scratching sound audible in the silence. "It can be dangerous out there."

"I'll be by your side," she told him. "Would just like to be outside. See the jungle." She gave a quick look to Jerrim–he could be sensitive if taking someone's words the wrong way–though his eyes were on Elias, his expression unreadable.

Elias finished collecting his supplies and turned to them. His bushy brows seemed constantly furrowed. "Very well," he said, and reached into a box by his feet. He withdrew a metal object and tossed it to Jerrim.

He studied the metal cylinder in his hands. It consisted of several rows of wheels, which he saw could be rotated and spread apart.

Liana recognised the children's puzzle, and wondered how something from the Crown had made it all the way out here. Perhaps it was part of some salvage from a crashed ship.

"To pass the time," Elias told him, his voice softening. "An old child's toy."

"Ahh... thanks," Jerrim told him, raising an eyebrow.

"If it's too easy I can rework it to make it harder," Liana told him. She smiled at Jerrim, but the severe look from Elias sent a chill through her.

She knelt and put a hand on Jerrim's shoulder, avoiding the old man's gaze. "Try not to overwork yourself." Though her voice was light she couldn't hide the concern in her eyes.

"I'll be fine here," Jerrim said gently, laying a hand on hers. "Be careful." His face softened, the way that made Liana uncomfortable.

Seeing Elias stepping through the door, she gave Jerrim a weak smile and followed the old man out.