IX - The End of Innocence

"Over here. Up here," Elias called over his shoulder.

He stopped by a large tree trunk. Weeds and tall grass surrounded the ancient structure.

Jerrim struggled for breath when he reached the trunk, and held a hand to his bloodied side. He could feel blood seeping from the bandage, though he dared not say anything to slow them down.

"Up here," Elias repeated, before ascending the dry bark, jumping more than climbing. Hooky swooped up after him.

Meeting Liana's questioning look, Jerrim thought to ask her to go first, but couldn't find the words. He found himself lost in her expectant eyes.

Liana eventually stammered, "I–ah... I'll go."

Jerrim sighed and shook his head when she was on her way up the tree. Their moment earlier flashed through his mind. Her green eyes continued to stare at him, so close to his face, her hair clinging to her sweaty forehead. The image had burned into his mind and now was the only thing he could see. He couldn't help but wonder what the look had meant.

A low rumble came from overhead, followed by a patter in the leaves far above. Drops of rain found their way to the jungle floor, accompanied by a whispering wind that swept through the area.

Jerrim managed to climb the ancient tree with little issue, after learning not to overstretch his left arm or twist his body too much.

Within a cluster of thick branches, surrounded by leaves, Liana helped him up to sit on a thick tree branch next to her. Jerrim kept his grip on her hand, waiting to see when she would release her own hold, and was disappointed when she let go almost immediately.

Elias sat on branch that extended almost ninety degrees from theirs, with Hooky sitting next to him, watching the surrounding leaves with wide eyes. They sat in silence, with the sound of the rain all around them.

Another rumble above them reminded Jerrim of the last storm he had been in. One that had swept through his hometown. He shivered at the memory.

"Hooky, up," Elias told the creature, nodding upwards. "Tell us what you see."

Hooky appeared to consider his words, quiet with thought, before a wide grin spread across his furry face, followed by a large, determined nod. Hooky dashed into the foliage above, rustling leaves before his excited movements faded.

"So tell us," Liana said to Elias. "Who are you really? We've heard of the war hero Auren Ellaison. But... who is he?

Elias regarded her a moment, before shifting his position to face them. "He was... someone I've been trying to forget. I was a priest of Waton, once. When I was younger. Too young to really know what it meant to worship. I left home shortly after my mother passed from an illness." Gulping a breath, he continued. His sombre voice captivated them. "Somehow, I found myself joining a military. It seemed to be the thing to do at the time. For a long while it was all I knew. When the Shadow Wars came, I, the General Commander of the Homefront and Renegade Rangers forces, did my part. We all did what we could."

He looked away, falling into a silence before continuing. "Among the invading armies of Nox, I was forced to battle my uncle, Banaethos, and his son, Trillas. I tried not to do what I knew I had to. But there was no other way. I killed my mother's brother. I killed her nephew, my cousin."

Through the darkness, glistening tears streamed down his lined, haggard face. "I told myself I would have no part in any affairs of the world after that. Restoring order to the world was little comfort after the ordeals I was forced to go through. And so I left. Everything. And this became my home."