xi.

— CHAPTER ELEVEN

"FIRED UP."

november, 2023

        AFTER THE EVENTS OF THE PAST few weeks between Le'ana and Paige, settling to be just friends (for now) felt like the right move for both girls. The UConn girls were rightfully upset the pair couldn't just be together, but they hoped the two would figure it out before it was too late.

For now, it was time to prepare for the season. With the basketball world getting fired up again, Paige was ready to play. After injuring her knee, alongside the small reinjuries she faced in the offseason, Paige worked harder than ever. It was clear how much she wanted this, especially with Le'ana by her side.

Every workout, Le'ana sat watching Paige intently. Occasionally she'd zone out, leaving the blonde in her element. Sometimes she'd intervene, ensuring Paige didn't push herself too much. Paige would never admit it but she wouldn't be fit to play as soon as she was if Le'ana wasn't there with her.

On another note, Le'ana's anxiety about the coming season had begun to start up again. Whilst Le'ana was there to support Paige, Paige was entirely unaware of how scared Le'ana was for her upcoming season with UConn. Sure, she knew the girl was slightly scared but that was normal. Every basketball player is nervous before the season starts. But Le'ana's anxiety was far from normal.

To combat the group's nerves, what else would they do but go live?

"Heyyy y'all! For once, we're on my account." Le'ana spoke up. The room contained Paige, KK and Le'ana sitting on the bed, whilst Ice and Azzi sat on the couch, playing fortnite on the TV. "Woah- How's there already five thousand of you." Sure, Le'ana had a large following on Instagram, but this much attention to her was never quite believable.

KK began randomly talking to the live as Le'ana's overthinking picked up. Already five thousand people joined to just see her in her dorm doing nothing, imagine on Thursday when a whole stadium of people prepare to watch her play. Imagine the crazy numbers watching online, ready to jump at her for a singular mistake she makes. Le'ana even began to imagine Paige's disappointment if she missed a shot or was unable to follow through.

Paige caught on to Le'ana's picked-up breathing. She took note of how the girl's fear of tomorrow was evident in the new emotion plaguing her face. Simply Paige nudged Le'ana with her knee. She discretely held a thumbs-up making sure the girl was good before she paid attention to the live. The comments caught on to the interaction between the duo, yet they chose to ignore all the assumptions by reading a random comment.

" 'How many points u dropping on Dayton?' personally, I'm saying 30-" Paige intervened in Le'ana's admission. "Trust I drop 20." The group were confident in their talents against Dayton. Paige knew she had to make it a good game for Le'ana.

KK continued her entertainment of the live by reading off more questions. That was until the topic of a famous kid's TV show came up. "Did y'all know Caillou had cancer?" All three of the girls, as they were now joined by Ice, turned towards KK. Le'ana truly wondered what was going on in that girl's mind as she let out a soft laugh.

"My brother had-" KK began reading before stopping herself. Laughs threatened to spill from the four girls.

"I'm sorry. I'll pray." Paige quietly uttered, giving a sly look to KK who was really struggling to hold in her laughter. Paige bowed her head and clasped her hands together. KK stood up to leave the room and laugh, however, her laughs were still heard from the room.

Both Paige and Le'ana fell backwards onto the bed, failing to acknowledge the mirror reflecting them in the back. The pair leaned into each other dying of laughter. Paige's arms surrounded Le'ana's waist as her head found itself resting on her shoulder. Both girls simply could not stop laughing.

It was around five minutes later when KK returned peacefully and Paige rose from the bed, followed by Le'ana.

" 'We can see you two in the mirror.' What mirror?" Paige spoke as she pretended to act clueless, eyes still red from the tears of laughter. Everyone continued reading the comments as the viewers would not stop talking about Le'ana and Paige. Some comments just discuss how well they got along as friends. Other comments were referring to the position of Paige's arms and how well they got along as acquaintances.

Le'ana couldn't help but blush at the comments, feeling a mix of embarrassment and warmth at the same time. She glanced at Paige, whose expression mirrored her own, albeit with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Looks like we're a hit, huh?" Paige whispered, her grin widening as she read through more of the comments. The comments tried so hard to decipher what Paige had uttered, but it was impossible.

Le'ana chuckled nervously, trying to brush off the attention. "Yeah, seems like it."Ice and Azzi exchanged knowing looks, clearly amused by the situation, while KK just shrugged, her laughter still bubbling beneath the surface.

"I say we give them what they want," Paige spoke up, causing Le'ana to gaze at her in confusion. There was no way their first kiss was going to be on camera. Moreso, there was no way they were going against their agreement from a few days ago.

Quietly the duo began to whisper back and forth conjuring up an idea of what they were going to do. Paige carefully leaned in, Le'ana following suit. That was until Paige pulled Le'ana into a playful hug, squeezing her tightly as they both laughed.  The live went crazy as Paige began to shout. "C'mon, we got y'all good!"

"They really fell for that shit-" Le'ana laughed, some part of her regretting this whole agreement.

As they pulled away, Le'ana's cheeks flushed with colour, but a smile tugged at the corners of her lips. Maybe being just friends wasn't terrible, especially when it meant sharing moments like these with someone as special as Paige. She just wished they could've done it in a more intimate manner, like they're in a relationship. Sure, Le'ana is the one that pushed the whole friendship idea forward but she couldn't help herself from regretting it.

The two girls sat down after their hug, laughter from the previous moment still ongoing. As le'ana glanced at Paige, hope and joy evident they both realised something.

This 'just friends' thing wasn't so bad.

ELLE'S NOTES!!!
this live kills me to
this day 😭😭

SOUTH CAROLINA
ACENGED US 🤞🤞

^^ you guys are so gonnakill me when i finish this book 🤗

kill me when i finish this book 🤗

i wanna write another book
once this is done, so give me
ideas on who pls :))