xxi.

— CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

"FINALLY."

January, 2024

        IT'S CLEAR THAT HAPPINESS IS NEVER A CONCEPT Le'ana and Paige were familiar with. Except for this specific day when Paige found herself barging into Le'ana's dorm with a fresh look of confidence on her face.

This morning Le'ana awoke to find an empty bed. It was typical. She and Paige have one good day then a million bad ones. The girls struggled to talk to each other about their emotions despite feeling the same way. Honestly, for both of them, it was just quite frustrating.

So, Le'ana spent the morning upset at the fact she woke up to not see Paige anywhere in her room. That was until that beautiful smile found itself prancing into her dorm. Paige didn't expect to be greeted with a frown on Le'ana's face and immediately rushed over, assuming her head was causing pain for the younger girl.

"Hey- Le? Are you ok? Like, your head's good, right?" Paige's voice, concern laced in every word.

"You left." She muttered. It was hard not to be clingy when in the presence of Paige when Le'ana spent the longest time grasping for even a touch of the girl. She'd spent the past few months hoping for some type of connection with Paige. Whilst the girls knew they liked each other, getting further with their emotions was a completely different issue.

"Oh-" Paige laughed out, realising Le'ana's cause of upset.

"You're laughing? Go away, Paige. Stay tryna act like you're somebody." Le'ana spoke, giggling as well.

"I'm laughing 'cause I have a surprise. Go get ready Le." Paige confidently ordered her, getting up and preparing to leave the room. Le'ana's slightly shorter legs followed after, trying to catch up.

"Wait- Paige, where are we going? What do I wear? What are you wearing?"Le'ana listed off the questions as she hoped for some clarity.

"Be cute." Were Paige's final words before she left.

A sigh and groan accompanied Le'ana as she fell backwards onto her bed. Le'ana stared at the ceiling, contemplating what "be cute" meant. Did Paige mean a dress? Jeans and a nice top? Or maybe something completely unexpected? She rifled through her closet, pulling out various options and laying them out on her bed.

As she pondered her outfit, her mind wandered back to Paige. Despite their ups and downs, Le'ana couldn't deny the flutter of excitement whenever Paige was around. There was something about her presence that made everything seem a little brighter, a little more bearable.

With a determined sigh, Le'ana settled on a simple white floral dress. Whether she intended to or not, Le'ana picked out a dress Paige had complimented her on before. In fact, the dress had left Paige speechless for around five minutes when she first saw it.

Paige's reaction was no different when she saw her in the dress again. The blonde was reaching up to knock on the door, yet Le'ana opened it before she could.

"Is it bad? I can change. Uh- Yeah let me change." Le'ana stuttered going back into her dorm. She was pulled back by Paige, making them stand closer than before.

"Hey," Paige greeted her, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "You look amazing. Don't change. Please." Paige felt weak when around le'ana. Here she sat pleading like a child, just for the girl she wanted.

Le'ana felt her cheeks flush with warmth at the compliment. "We've upgraded from fire?" she questioned, making a joke to hide her blush.

As they walked hand in hand into the flower field, Le'ana couldn't help but feel a sense of contentment wash over her. That was another thing. Once they got out of Paige's car, Paige grabbed Le'ana's hand to cross the road and yet she didn't let go. No one opposed it.

Finally, They reached the spot—a picturesque flower field on the outskirts of campus. Le'ana's heart skipped a beat as she spotted an array of flowers. Surrounded by vibrant blooms and bathed in the golden light of the setting sun, she felt like everything was finally falling into place. They were fine.

Paige led her to a picnic blanket spread out in the center of the field, complete with a basket of snacks and a bottle of wine. Le'ana's heart swelled with affection at the sight, realizing Paige had put much thought into this surprise. Not only that but every flower surrounding them was one of the many Paige had taught her about. She had spent hours finding the perfect ones and she was glad to notice Le'ana's eyes trailing over them, acknowledging her effort.

They spent the evening talking and laughing, lost in each other's company as they watched the sun dip below the horizon.

"So- uh- Are you staying in Connecticut for your injury?" Paige questioned, knowing Le'ana's trainers found themselves in Louisiana, where she grew up and played for three years in college.

"I'm gonna go back for like- three weeks. It's- uh- probably best." She muttered. Finally, Le'ana looked up after being so afraid to lock eyes with Paige. She didn't regret it once she did because staring into Paige's eyes was her favourite pastime activity. "This won't ruin us again, right?" She spoke, voice cracking in despair.

"I'd never let you get away from me." Paige laughed, realising how damp the mood had become. "At least you're not missing any games since it's a break." She said, trying to find the best in a bad situation.

"Speaking of- Since we have no games I was wondering something. D- Do you want to come with me?" Le'ana's anxiety was overcoming her as she waited for Paige's response.

"And meet your parents? You must be in a rush to show me off Le." Trust Paige to never be serious. "I'll come." She whispered, reaching a hand over to interlink it with Le'ana's.

For in that fleeting moment, surrounded by flowers and bathed in love, Le'ana realized that happiness wasn't just a concept—it was something real. She had never felt able to love. Yet now, it was something tangible, something she had found in the arms of the girl she loved.

ELLE'S NOTES!!!

i'm giving them happinessfor once

for once. be grateful.

not some girl fully stealing
my layout, plot and exact
phrases 😀😀😀