13. Samarpan

Samarpan= devotion
*****************
Avni's POV-

The chirping of birds caught my attention as I realised that the dawn was about the break. Folding the scroll and I kept it on the table and moved towards the balcony. The fresh morning breez hit my body giving me a calming sensation. And here I spent another sleepless night, but not in some stress or dismay but I spent entire night penning down my thoughts about him, my husband and our wedding. I turned to look at him, he slept peacefully on the bed, breathing evenly. He face held a different kind of calmness. I scanned his face, his face glowed in the light of diyas. Those coppery orbs which held me capitative last night were now closed. His dense brows, aquiline nose , sharp jawline, cheeks decorated with little stubbles, and of course not to forget that beautiful smile that made its appearance last night. An unusual smile made its presence on my face as well and I turned back to look at towards the garden. All of the sudden I was feeling so shy as the memory of last night clouded my mind. How I tried my level best to look confident in front of him. But his proximity had a different effect on me. I don't know how I did it but to look at the mark on his neck I went close to him. His musky sandalwood fragrance was conquering my senses. Goosebumps erupted all over my skin as soon as my fingers made contact with his silken thread like hair. His proximity was evoking some foreign emotions within me which I never felt before. I wanted to hid myself from his gaze but at the same time his eyes hold me capitative. I just wanted to stay with him because it made me feel safe and secure. Just mere thought of him made my heart beat faster. The birds chirping again broke my chain of thoughts, I realised I have no time left to think about it , it's time for my morning pooja , I need to get ready now. Avni what's wrong with you , my conscience mocked me . Pushing all the thoughts aside I rushed to get ready but carefully as I didn't want my anklets to disturb my husband's sleep.
*********
I checked myself in the mirror and then looked at my sleeping husband through it. I summoned my helpers today as I don't want to disturb his sleep. Wearing some light clothes and jewelleries I was all done. I applied vermilion on the partition of my hair and suddenly I was looking pretty. My eyes fell on the pair of anklets that lied on the table. I picked them up to wear but then I thought I will wear it later once I am out of the chamber. Carrying them with me I left the chamber.

After instructing the maids about today's tasks I marched further in the corridor and then I looked at maa who too was engaged in commanding the attendees about something.  " Suprabhat maa."
( Good morning Maa.) I wished her.

Avni, a huge smile appeared on her face as she looked at me. She lovingly creased my face. " Aap jaag gai , kintu abhi tak aap sajjh kyu nhi hui pooja hetu?"
( You woke up? But why are you not ready for the pooja?)
She asked making me confused.

" Kintu Mata mai sajh hi to hoon dekhiye."
( But maa, I am all ready ,look.)
" Avni, ab aap vivahit hain, adhik shringar or adhik aabhushan dharan krne chahiye aapko."
(Avni, now you are married , you should now wear more jewelleries. )

" Mata kintu itna paryapt h n ."
( But maa, this is enough. )
" Avni , nav vivahit hain aap , hum kuch nhi sunenge aap humare sath aaiye , hum aapko sajjh krte h . "
( Avni, you are newly married, I don't want to hear anything, come with me I will make you ready. )
And I couldn't say anything further. No one can win over mother's. I shook my head and followed her like an obedient child. She took me to her chamber and made me sit in front of the mirror. She summoned her personal maid to bring jewelleries and accessories. I sat idoly where as she fussed over me making me ready just like she used to do when I was little. I smiled looking at her. Once she was done , she turned me and look at me. The victory smile on her lips and glittery eyes informed me that she was satisfied by my look. She took out a little kohl from the corner of her eyes and put it behind my right ear. " Kisi ki kudrishti n lage." ( May God protect you from the evil eyes.) She said.
"Ab chalen maa? Maheshwar pratiksha kr rhe honge. "
( Maa should we go now? Maheshwar must be waiting for us.")
I told her and she nodded.
*************
Agravin's jerked from his sleep as soon as he opened his eyes because he found himself in as unknown place. But a familiar scent of lotus and Jasmin soothed his senses a little. He realised that he was in her chamber, now their chamber. He scanned the entire room , she was no where in sight. Not even in balcony. He looked at the other side of the bed, which was free from any crease , the petals were also undisturbed which made me realised that she was not here last night. Did she left the chamber last night? She must be feeling uncomfortable in his presence. Did she feel unsafe with him? Thousand questions clouded his mind . A knock on door brought him back in the reality. Soon a maid entered and greeted him .
" Pranipat yuvraj. Aapke snaan hetu sabhi prabhandh kr diye hai kya aapko kisi anya vastu ki avshakta hai?"
( Greetings crown prince. All the arrangements for your bath is done, do you need anything?)
The personal maid of Avni asked him.
" Nhi, mujhe anya kisi vastu ki avshakta nhi. Wo...... Wo kahan hain?"
( No, I don't need anything. She ..... Where is she?)
Agravin asked her hesitately.
" Wo? Wo kon Yuvraj?"
( She? Who she , prince?)
The maid asked confusingly.
" Mera tatparya hai , Rajkumari Kahan hain? "
( I mean where is princess?)
Agravin asked her.
The maid tried her best to hide her smile and replied " Rajkumari to pooja hetu gai h Yuvraj, aap sajjh ho jaiye, aapke suryagarh ka prabhandh krti hoon."
( Rajkumari went for her Pooja ,Prince, You please get ready until I prepare for your suryagarh.)
****************
Agravin rushed back to the chamber after taking a bath , he wrapped the pair of yellow dhoti and angvatra around his body and rushed towards the garden , with the intention of not missing the pooja. He knew he was too late , this was the first time in his life that he woke up late, he slept so peacefully , without any nightmare. After offering Suryagarh , he head towards the temple. Everyone was already present there. His guru, the royal priest, the king and the queen, the other members of the royal family and of course his wife. Everyone looked at him. He lowered his head, feeling embarrassed for being late in the pooja.
"Aaiye Kumar Agravin, swagat hai."
( Welcome Agravin.)
His father in law greeted him.
" Pranipat Maharaj, Pranipat Maharani."
( Greetings king and queen.)
Agravin greeted them.
Subodh and Sudha smiled at him . King Subodh stretched his right hand and gestured Agravin to enter the temple.
Agravin went inside and stood next to his wife. He looked at her , she was clad in a yellow saree with golden border, flaunting sindoor in her hair partition,  she looked beautiful as always.
"Waise to pratidin Avni hi aarti krti hai, kintu aaj ki Arti nav vivahit joda hi karega."
( It's Avni who performs Aarti everyday but today the newly married couple will offer the arti to God.)
Queen Sudha announced.

Avni lifted the aarti thal and looked towards Agravin, asking him to join her through her eyes. Agravin hesitately stepped closer to her and held the thali.
They both performed the arti and then bowed down in front of the vigrah of Maheshwar and Maheshwari. After that they both touched the feet of elders.
"Jija shree , ab reeti ke anusar aapko Avni ko bhent swaroop kuch Dena hoga. To aap kya Dene Wale hai?"
( Brother in law, now according to rituals you have to gift something to Avni. What are you going to gift her?)
Avni's cousin sister teased him. For a moment Agravin was unable to comprehend her words. Gifts? But he had nothing to offer to his wife. Nothing. Agravin's eyes fell on his beautiful wife and suddenly he experienced a pang in his heart. Before he could say anything, on of the cousin brothers of Avni spoke,
"Kintu ye kya denge Avni, ye to swayam hi bhikshuk hai na."
( But what will he give to Avni, after all he is a beggar.)
Avni felt a rage building inside her . Before she could say anything, her father spoke , " Kumar Agravin Maniprasth ke hone wale Yuvraj hai , Angad, sampoorn Maniprasth or iska Aishwarya ab unka hi hai samjhe . "
( Agravin is to-be crown prince of Maniprasth, entire Maniprasth and its luxuries are his only. Understood Angad.)

Soon a dasi came with a huge golden thal which contained jewelleries, and silk garments.
"Jamata Shree, aap ye uphar Avni ko de dijiye."
( Son in law, you can give this gift to Avni.)
Queen Sudha said.

"Nhi Maharani."
( No queen.)
Agravin denied his mother-in-law's words. Everyone looked at him in astonishment.  Agravin turned to face the  vigrah of Mahadev and Mata Parvati. He bowed his head in front of them and then picked up a lotus flower from their feet. He came back and stood in front of his wife, facing her, looking straight into her eyes.
" Ye Satya hai ki mere paas aapko upar swaroop dene hetu abhi kuch nhi hai , na rajya, na hi koi aishwarya, na hi koi amulya vastu. Kintu yadi aapko kuch de sakta hoon to wo hai mera samarpan. Aaj se isi samay se mai apne tan , mann, vichar , shabd, karm , aatma or dharm se kewal aapko samrpit hoon Rajkumari. Sath hi har samay aapke sukh k liye prayas kare na prann leta hu."
( It's true that I have nothing to offer you, not any kingdom, nor any luxuries or valuable articles . The only thing I can offer you is my devotion. From this moment, I am devoted to you only, with my body, mind, thoughts , words, karna, soul and dharm. I promise that I will always try for your happiness .)
Saying so Agravin went to his knees and placed the lotus flower in Avni's feet.

Avni froze there, unable to respond to anything, tears ran down her cheeks as she looked at her husband with pure admiration. A proud smile made its appearance on Rishi keerticharya's face. King Subodh and Queen Sudha exchanged glaces with each other , feeling proud and happy.  Avni bent and lifted the lotus flower in her hand and then touched it with her forehead. And gestured to Agravin to stand up. She smiled looking at him . They both turned towards God and joined their hands. Agravin closed his eyes while Avni turned her head to look at him, she then looked towards Maheshwar, thanking him again and again for sending him to her life. Her heart was filled with happiness.  Avni lifted the plate of prasad and started distributing it to everyone. At last she reached near her husband, handing the plate to dasi, Avni bent to touch his feet. Before she could touch his feet she felt a soft yet firm grip on her shoulder. Agravin stopped her in the middle. Avni straightened herself and looked towards him in confusion. Agravin shook his head lightly, still holding her by her shoulders, he said
" Meri patni hain aap, mera varchasva hain, ishwara k atirikt kisi k samksha na jhukiye, mere samaksha bhi nhi ."
( You are my wife, my pride, don't bow down in front of anyone, except the almighty, not even me. )

Saying so he released his grip from her shoulder while Avni felt all shy , her heart was filled with joy . She looked at her husband who extended his hands to take the offering while Avni placed the ladoo in his hand. They both exchanged a warm smile. While everyone present there adored the couple except two pairs of eyes , one looked at them with hatred while the other with jealousy.

**********
Word count- 2082

Wow this chapter turned out to be so good. I am proud of myself 🥹. Khud ki tarif khud krni hoti h kyuki or koi to karega nhi. Please people do vote and comment to encourage me . 🥺 Please, pretty please 🥺.

Ps- Navratri or Nav varsh ki hardik shubhkamnaye
Har har Mahadev 🙏🏻