Chapter 12

Hanni groaned when she heard the knock at her front door. She knew it was late in the morning, probably closer to noon, but Hyein had kept her up well past midnight the last two nights, and she had really needed the sleep.

She peered across to the other side of the bed where Hyein was still asleep, dark hair cascading around her pillow. In spite of the perfectly suitable guest bedroom, Hyein opted to crash in Hanni's bed, which didn't really bother either of them. Even if it was purely platonic, Hanni kind of liked not having to sleep alone.

The person at the door knocked again, and Hanni nudged Hyein's leg with her foot under the blankets.

"Hyein!" she said, in a loud whisper. "Wake up!"

"No," Hyein moaned, trying to scoot away from Hanni's foot.

"Wake up and get the door," Hanni insisted, kicking Hyein in the shin this time.

"Ow! No! You get the door," Hyein said, not opening her eyes. "It's your house."

"But I'm pregnant!" Hanni whined. "Seriously, Hyein, go answer it and tell whoever it is that I'm sleeping."

"What if it's my mom?"

"It's not!"

"How do you know?"

"Because she doesn't knock, she just poofs herself into my living room and starts yelling for me. So go get the door."

"No," Hyein said, as the person knocked, yet again. "They'll go away."

"They're not going away. It's my house and I make the rules, so go get the door."

Hyein smirked as she opened her eyes, finally. "What are you, ten?"

Hanni shrugged as she smiled and closed her eyes again, knowing that she'd won.

"Fine," Hyein said, as she tossed the covers back and swung her legs over the side of the bed. "But I'm not putting on pants."

Hanni cracked one eye open to assess Hyein's state of dress. Her black Guns n Roses t-shirt was more than long enough to cover all the essentials. "Whatever," Hanni muttered, closing her eyes. "Just get the damn door."

Hyein tossed her pillow at Hanni, before getting off the bed and heading down the stairs. She had never been one to particularly care how she presented herself, and in this little town where she knew almost no one, she really didn't care that her legs were bare and her hair was a mess. She just wanted to tell whoever was at the door to fuck off so she could go back to sleep.

"I'm co-oming!" Hyein yelled, when there was yet another knock when she reached the bottom of the stairs. She flung the door open, and nearly snorted in surprise when she saw Minji standing there, her fist in the air as if she were about to knock again, and her mouth gaping open in surprise. "Oh. It's you. What the hell do you want?"

Minji stiffened at Hyein's crass greeting and the fact that she was barely dressed and seemed to have no issue answering Hanni's door like that. "I, uh, Rex's been trying to call Hanni and she's not answering. He asked me to come over and check on her."

Hyein shrugged. "She's fine. She needs to sleep. She's pregnant, you know."

"I'm aware," Minji replied, unsure of how to take Hyein's tone of voice. "Is she sleeping now?"

"Yep, so you should probably just leave. And, you know, leave her alone and shit."

"I'm sorry, but is there a reason you feel the need to speak to me in this tone of voice?" Minji asked, crossing her arms in front of her chest defensively.