twenty-seven

twenty-seven

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───
illicit affairs
─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

It was around 12:30 pm when Chris awkwardly walked into Matt's room. Matt raised his eyebrows, waiting for Chris to speak. "Yes?"

"Uh, I was just wondering something," Chris said, lingering in the corner.

Matt continued to stare at him expectantly. "Go ahead."

Chris took a deep breath and rushed out his question, "Haveyouheardfromstella?"

Matt looked confused. "What? Can you repeat that?"

Chris sighed and tried again, "Have you heard from Stella?"

"Why? No, I haven't," Matt replied, sitting up straighter.

Chris nodded. "Okay, bye." He turned to leave, hoping Matt wouldn't press him further.

"Chris," Matt called out.

Chris groaned, "No!"

"Chris," Matt repeated, making Chris stop in his tracks and turn back around.

"I promised not to tell," Chris muttered.

"Christopher," Matt insisted.

"Fine! The girls talked to Stella about you two getting back together, and she got upset or angry—maybe both—and she's been avoiding us since. We think she went to a party," Chris explained. Matt stared at him, his expression unreadable.

Chris shifted nervously, bracing himself for Matt's reaction.

3...

2...

1...

"Are you fucking with me?!" Matt exploded. Chris winced. "Does it help if I say don't worry about it?"

"No, it doesn't! Why were you even asking about us? Did Nick put you up to this?" Matt demanded, his voice rising.

"Maybe, but we just wanted to—"

"I never asked you guys to do anything!" Matt interrupted angrily.

Chris raised his hands in a gesture of surrender, trying to calm Matt down. "Look, we were just trying to help. We thought maybe it would be good for both of you to talk things out."