Different Path

Regulus stood there, his hand inches away from the doorknob of the train compartment where his brother sat with his gaggle of friends, his mouth twisting up slightly, but in the back of his head—

"There is absolutely no way Sirius would welcome me this time when I've done absolutely nothing to change his opinion of me."

Regulus let out a sigh, glancing up at the paned window, seeing the shadows behind before walking off, swallowing, feeling the tears well up in his eyes, remembering how Sirius harsh words resulted in him hurrying off to—

He remembered, in the back of his head, exactly which train compartment he'd find her in, and he knocked without hesitation, letting out a deep breath. "Cissy?"

The door slid open, and his older cousin beamed down at him. "Reggie?" Her head tilted. "Are you crying?"

"No," he muttered as her gentle hand guided him into the room, his body flinching upon seeing—

"Lucius, this is my cousin Regulus," Narcissa cheerfully said. Lucius let a blond eyebrow shoot up. "Oh! Don't worry! Regulus is far better behaved than that other cousin of mine, so you really need not worry. And I'm sure he'll be sorted into Slytherin."

"As if there'd be any other possibility," Regulus said. "I'm not..." He frowned, closing his eyes. "I'm not brave like Sirius, am I?"

"Hey, speaking of Sirius," Narcissa said. "He isn't the reason you're crying?"

"What? No." Regulus took a deep breath, reaching up to wipe the tears at the corner of his eyes away, remembering how he'd arrived before, definitely crying then, burying his face into her robes, telling her how mean Sirius was, how his older brother rejected him and considered him a nuisance. "Well, I might not have used the word nuisance—just that Sirius was so mean to me."

"But you aren't with him, and..." Narcissa tilted her head as if she'd expected Regulus to have gone and find Sirius, as if that existed as some kind of concern among the older females, that he'd put himself into a position Sirius might be a negative influence on him. "Are you sure he didn't upset you again?'

"Oh. That. I guess Cissy became used to him doing that even before we arrived at Hogwarts. I don't remember Sirius being a neglectful brother before then, though." Regulus shook his head, pressing his lips together. "I didn't give him a chance to."

"That. Well, okay." Narcissa sat down, gently running her fingers through his hair. "That might be for the best, given how temperamental your brother can be. I swear. He takes after Aunt Walburga in that regard."

"Yeah, he does, although he'd never admit it, loath he was to have any connection to the Black family." Regulus took a deep breath. "And me."

"No, no. You don't have Aunt Walburga's temper. You're more—well, like Uncle Orion. A perfect little gentleman, I must say, but feel free to nap if you need to. I'll wake you when we arrive or if the trolly comes by. I'll treat you to those sweets you like, and Aunt Walburga doesn't let you have."

"Sure," Regulus muttered.

"Sure?" Narcissa reached a handout, touching his forehead. "Well, you're not running a fever."

"Why would you think your cousin was running a fever?"

"He didn't protest, insist that Aunt Walburga wouldn't allow him, but I guess he stressed himself out too much over Sirius?"

"I'm going to sleep now," Regulus said, but then—

The next thing he knew, Narcissa was nudging him away, worried because he'd not stirred when the trolly came, handing him over to Hagrid, who in turn ushered all the first years into the boats, but Sirius—he was nowhere around.

"It's for the best," Regulus thought.

"Is it?" the hat mused, then, "Gryffindor."

Regulus' eyes widened, taken aback by the declaration. "No. That can't be right."