Chapter one - pg.1

Edwin and Denora  walked hand in hand, their laughter intertwined with the sounds of the tree-lined street. As they walked, the amber dusk and rustling leaves created a serene setting for the joy they shared.

The fading light of day cast Edwin's lean silhouette in a soft glow, to any onlooker, he was just another young man enjoying the simple pleasure of a walk with his beloved. Yet, each laugh seemed to loosen the heavy shackles of his tormented thoughts, if only for a moment.

Denora's touch, her soft hand intertwined with his, brought a sense of comfort amidst the chaos that swirled in Edwin's mind, he wanted to savour this moment with Denora forever. 

As they approached their home, the door was pushed open, and immediately, the scent of freshly baked cookies enveloped them, weaving through the air, pulling them further inside. It was a fragrance that whispered of simpler times and promises of comfort.

On the tiled counter sat a mismatched plate of half-eaten cookies, surrounded by a trail of crumbs. Edwin's mother had stopped by earlier that day, her way of trying to bring some  warmth and balance into the chilly home her son shared with Denora.

"Mom must've been here," Edwin remarked, blushingly. 

"Her chocolate chip cookies are unbeatable," Denora said, picking up a piece and offering it to Edwin. He accepted, letting the familiar taste stir him further away from the edge where his demons lurked.

Together, they stood there, in the heart of their home, allowing the simple pleasure of homemade cookies to remind them of life's capacity for sweetness and bitterness...